Small Coolant Leak..... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Small Coolant Leak.....

IWillBeHeard
07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I noticed I have a small coolant leak on the right side of the engine near the coolant temp. sensor. It looks like coolant is puddling up around that small bolt on the left of the coolant temp. sensor. and possibly dripping down from the actual sensor. It doesn't look like it's actually coming from the lower intake gasket but most likely its the LIM gasket since I have the worst luck in the world. I'll attach a pic and see what you guys think. Thanks for the help.

dcb2001gt
07-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Looks like a LIM gasket to me. Mine was leaking for 15,000 miles before I changed it. I would bite the bullet and get it changed.

cardude007617
07-07-2007, 08:16 PM
or just get a new car..... no offense intended :)

IWillBeHeard
07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Cardude a new car is not an option...LOL. Anyone else have any opinions on this ???

silverse
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Id change the gaskets the problem will only get worse if not done. I reccomend felpro gaskets

Mine was getting on the exhaust and made a terrible mess that sucked to clean up

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
im jumping on the gasket train..

IWillBeHeard
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok so I guess I'm going shopping for some tools and gaskets.. :( How many of you changed the head gaskets as well why you were in there?? Also is it really worth it to take the injectors out and change the o rings while I'm in there or maybe I should skip it....

lone_wolf025
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Personally I'd say have it done, but if you're mechanically inclined and have the procedure info go for it. IIRC most places replace uppers and lowers at the same time. Beyond that do whatever you feel is necessary.

Check out the HOW TO thread below.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68087

99gav6
07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
the o-rings on the injectors are real easy to replace, id say do it all that way you know everything is in good shape

cardude007617
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Cardude a new car is not an option...LOL. Anyone else have any opinions on this ???

it was more of a joke than a serious answer haha but ya im with gaskets too

drumking1721
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
i would replace. I have a slow,i mean slow leak,its just a little damp near the gaskets. Ill get around to replacing them,but im not too worried right now

IWillBeHeard
07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
CarDude I knew it was a joke that is why I laughed...... sometimes I think getting a new car would be easier though..lol......I have a 2000 so I'm sure a lot of things will start breaking anytime now. Most likely I'm gonna do the manifold gasket change myself, I think I will be able to tackle it. I'll just take my time and label everything. I guess this would also be the time to change the spark plugs and wires, injector o rings, TB gasket, EGR gasket, etc..... Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench, I found one in my dad's toolbox..but its real old school has a needle that shows the poundage on it instead of the new click style wrenches. Also I guess the recommended gaskets would be the felpro complete gasket set, including the valve cover gaskets and upper and lower manifold gaskets.. Thanks for the help guys..

kse73
07-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Yea... my GA sittin in the garage still has 38k miles...and I had the LIM gasket replaced twice. Make sure you get a written warranty from the shop if you have it done somewhere.

IWillBeHeard
07-11-2007, 03:07 AM
So the question is... all you guys that ended up changing your intake manifold gaskets..... how many of you switched from DEX Cool to the Green stuff ??? That sounds like a good idea.

IWillBeHeard
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Did you guys use the complete gasket set including the valve cover gaskets or the set with just the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets??

99gav6
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
i did the complete set but mine involved changing a head gasket as well, i havent switched coolant but did just have to replace my water pump so it might not be a bad idea, i would have to look into it though

angrysk8r
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Did you guys use the complete gasket set including the valve cover gaskets or the set with just the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets??

I would replace the valve cover gaskets as well because they may not seal properly if you just reuse the old ones.

blb250
04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I recently had my heads re-machined and new head gaskets put on due to a similar issue. Now im sure the dealership would never tell you this exactly but with the 99 g-ams and similar, the dex cool coolant will eventually eat away at those head gaskets and cause various coolant leaks and things of that nature. There was a really big lawsuit that occured due to this defect with dex cool. I would suggest taking it down to a trusted mechanic and having those things inspected. Also, once you have the issue fixed, look into using a different coolant. (Flushing your old cooling system completely of coarse!)

jackal2000
04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I recently had my heads re-machined and new head gaskets put on due to a similar issue. Now im sure the dealership would never tell you this exactly but with the 99 g-ams and similar, the dex cool coolant will eventually eat away at those head gaskets and cause various coolant leaks and things of that nature. There was a really big lawsuit that occured due to this defect with dex cool. I would suggest taking it down to a trusted mechanic and having those things inspected. Also, once you have the issue fixed, look into using a different coolant. (Flushing your old cooling system completely of coarse!)

if you dont me asking, how much did you pay for that? the dealership by me quoted the job at $2,323. i laughed at them and will end up doing it myself if it is in fact the head gasket.

the LIMG is pretty simple to change. the link above to the write up is quality info.

Malaclypse
04-07-2008, 10:53 PM
....the dex cool coolant will eventually eat away at those head gaskets and cause various coolant leaks and things of that nature. There was a really big lawsuit that occured due to this defect with dex cool. Also, once you have the issue fixed, look into using a different coolant.

No. No. No. No. No. Not an ounce of truth to this. Poorly designed and/or old gaskets cause leaks. Dexcool causes corrosion only in a leaking system. In a properly maintained and non-leaking cooling system dexcool is fine.

Explain all the Ecotecs, Gen III/IVs, and similar running around with maybe a bad water pump and that's it. For some reason the engine blocks haven't disintegrated and neither have the headgaskets. I'm sure some of those motors are well past 300k miles.