Headlamp Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Question

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Im planning on getting new bulbs to replace the High/Low Beams, but im not sure if there is a seperate bulb for my DRLs or not. i check sylvania's website and i found one that said: Fog/Driving Light, which makes me think it is the actual foglight bulb, not the DRL.

so my question is: is there a seperate bulb for the DRLs, or is it contained inside the High/Low Beam Lights (#9007)?

another question i have also is that for some reason, one of my DRLs is brighter than the other. ive tried to adjust them at night and figuring how to aim them but one is still brighter. so if i replace the High/Low Beam with new bulbs, will this fix my problem?

GodsendGAGT
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
yea the #9007 is for both high and low beam, and for the second question possibly it might be a bad bulb

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
your drl bulb is the same one as the regular high/low beam bulb, so just order one pair of 9007 and you'll be set for that.

as for the difference in brightness, could be that one bulb is older..could also be that one appears brighter since you always aim the drivers side headlight a bit lower so as not to blind on-coming traffic.

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
well thanks AJ, but i also had another theory.....i think i have more oxidation on one lens than on the other, so since that covers up some of the light, could that also be the problem?

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
quite possible, look up coupe's how to in the detailing section for cleaning your lenses.

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
well i talked to my dad....since im still high school....my mods have to go through him first....so he wants me to just get new OEMs.....i told him i would spend the cash to get some aftermarkets.

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
well if you do decide to replace them, feel free to pull up the prices of an OEM replacement in addition to showing him the price of the aftermarket, because the aftermarket ones will be cheaper than buying OEM through a dealer, and the build quality is pretty good.

i got the 5th pair of autodynasty's produced, i still remember our loooooooong discussion on them, they are holding up and still clear today. so id say the investment is pretty good. :)

AznGA
07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I never used OEM 9007 bulbs till they burn out, but from my experience, PIAA's last a lot longer than Silverstars. There is Silverstar ULTRA, which is supposed to last longer, but I have never used them. PIAA's cost about $60 a pair, so your parents might think that's crazy, but I think they are worth the money.

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I've actually had the privelege of seeing both Silverstars (not ultra) and PIAA's side by side in the aftermarket headlamps, I have the ST my bro has the PIAA's, and I gotta say I prefer the PIAA light, its got an ever so slight bluish tint and appears to be alot brighter. So if you have the cash, go that route.

As far as how long the silverstars last, I've had mine for 2 years now, haven't burned out on me.

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
well im trying to find other sites than ebay to find aftermarkets...google hates me tonight!

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
iirc the only other one is http://www.customgrandam.com

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
OEMs would be more than THOSE on customgrandam.com?!

Ajaxus
07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
GM price is $170.82 per assembly

kuecker_dj09
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
well thanks alot for all the help....either way, it will look better than the bad ones i have now.

pyro
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
could have searched