HID Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID Help

slowbird
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I have had an HID kits made by X-Light for a few months now. Besides the shabby quality the Kit has worked fine. They are a Bi-Xenon 6000k kit.

I was leaving a store this evening...I started the car...put my sealt belt on....lowered my Handbrake and looked into the reflection of my car to watch my HID's come on.

They flickered and went out. (usually they flicker and brighten to their full intensity) Both sides...both bulbs. I went home and checked all connections and all fuses. Everything looks fine. I drove with them on for 20 kms this evening without any issues...but sometime during my stop at the store my HID's decided to quit. Weather was warm and dry.

The Ballasts don't HUM or Buzz anymore like they did when the Kit worked....any suggestions?

I have a feeling the ballasts are fried...

pyro
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
sounds like fried ballasts to me...unfortunate.
check your relays too? is there a status LED on the ballasts?
definately hit up www.pilothid.com for your next setup.

cardude007617
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
how are oznium's pyro?

slowbird
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Yea...it must be the ballasts.

Time to contact the Seller.

timka86
07-11-2007, 07:50 AM
check all connections, if it's humid, corrosion could have set in.

Mirage85
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Or you had a connection come loose somewhere. Even though you say you checked, do it again. I had a problem once were mine did that and I realized the plug that goes into the relay was partially coming off and wasnt making good contact. Once I pushed it back on, I havent had problems.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I'll check again.

It's wierd cause these are the Bi-Xenon kits where the High beam work by the entire HID bulb moving.

The Bulbs still move when I activate the High beams...I'm just not getting any light.

Anyways. I'll double check everything again.

pyro
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
how are oznium's pyro?
cough i mean get oznuims
I'll check again.

It's wierd cause these are the Bi-Xenon kits where the High beam work by the entire HID bulb moving.

The Bulbs still move when I activate the High beams...I'm just not getting any light.

that means your ballasts are fried. i wouldnt have bought into that crap in the first place. HIDs make for horrible highbeams, not that you should need them anyways. if they are still getting power and they will not ignite, it means your ballasts have fried.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I liked the Bi-Xenon feature...they worked great...and when flashing my highbeams at people I'd Really get their attention.

To bad the kit ended up being a junker cheap kit from Tokyo.

pyro
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
lol yea that sucks. live and learn i guess

slowbird
07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
yup.

Mirage85
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I'll check again.

Sounds just like the ones I have and I love them. Again, double check the connection at the relay.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a spare relay and Harness that I'm gonna try when I get home. Maybe it'll help.

ancona46
07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
could be the bulbs too

slowbird
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
could be the bulbs too

Both...at the Exact same time?

The Kit and bulbs are 3 months old too.

ancona46
07-11-2007, 02:44 PM
why not if both ballasts could go at the same time?

slowbird
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I guess.

timka86
07-11-2007, 02:57 PM
how do you have them wired? is it a single power (+) to both ballasts and one ground(-) that feeds each ballast? if you got them both wired to one point, start there. run a test, just two leads, straight to the battery and into the wires that supply power to the ballast, if nothing happens, then yeah it's fried.

Also, you probably have your highbeam light one when the HID's are one right?
Check to see that the multifunction switch isn't pushed forward, leaving the brights on, which turns off low beam, in turn HID's are off.

timka86
07-11-2007, 03:01 PM
if you have the bi-xenon kit, the highbeam is just a plain halogen bulb glued into the same socket, right? does that work? if not, and it is a halogen bulb and they share a common ground, check there.
If ballasts are fried, those bulbs should still work, cuz they don't work off of the ballast, they're halogen.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 04:10 PM
When I activate High beams the HID Bulbs move. On my Kit the Low HID and HI HID both work.

I doubt the problem is with the Positive and negative feeds to the Kit cause my Caspers Fan switch is hooked the same and it works fine.

it's either the Relay, connections or the ballasts.

Mirage85
07-11-2007, 04:16 PM
if you have the bi-xenon kit, the highbeam is just a plain halogen bulb glued into the same socket, right? does that work? if not, and it is a halogen bulb and they share a common ground, check there.
If ballasts are fried, those bulbs should still work, cuz they don't work off of the ballast, they're halogen.

bi-xenon is just that, bi-xenon, both high and low beam is HID, and in most cases the bulb is mechanical and moves.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
bi-xenon is just that, bi-xenon, both high and low beam is HID, and in most cases the bulb is mechanical and moves.

Exactly.

Dizzy21
07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
not to jack the thread at all, real quick, what kind of headlights are the orange/yellows on the inside of the main light? are they the 9007s?

ancona46
07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
194's

slowbird
07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Okay...I had a spare wiring harness for the HID Kit which I ended up buying on a totally different QA problem with this kit.

I swapped the entire harness's and the HID's work again...infact...they don't even slowly brighten like they used to. They just turn on bright right away.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9628/stupidjunkyt2.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stupidjunkyt2.jpg)

The relay thing in the middle must have been the culprit.

any chance I could get this repaired and used as a back up if this new one dies aswell?

Also....what would cause this to fail in the first place?

Mirage85
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Awesome, glad to hear you got the kit working again.

pyro
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
the relay could have failed from a number of things. it could have been faulty, it could have had a power surge, it could have been damaged etc. you can replace relays very easily.

slowbird
07-11-2007, 09:29 PM
A Faulty relay I can beleive...a power surge....shouldn't the fuses (In the pic to the Realy's 5'oclock) have prevented any damage?

Meh...any bets on how long this relay will last?

timka86
07-12-2007, 07:37 AM

Have not seen those yet, I've seen the after market ones where they have a halogen bulb glued in next to the HID bulb. My bad.

Glad you got it fixed!

Mirage85
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Have not seen those yet, I've seen the after market ones where they have a halogen bulb glued in next to the HID bulb. My bad.

Glad you got it fixed!

yeah bi = 2, meaning both are HID, Im not sure what they call the ones with the halogen Highbeam, but I know exactly which ones your thinking of.

pyro
07-12-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah bi = 2, meaning both are HID, Im not sure what they call the ones with the halogen Highbeam, but I know exactly which ones your thinking of.

actually, no.
REAL bi-xenons are single filament bulbs w/ a door that flips open for highbeams. the dual filament bulbs are garbage. the ones that flip up are okay, but tend to break easily.

Mirage85
07-12-2007, 10:34 AM

actually, no.
REAL bi-xenons are single filament bulbs w/ a door that flips open for highbeams. the dual filament bulbs are garbage. the ones that flip up are okay, but tend to break easily.

Exactly what I said. Means both High and low beam are HID, I never said there were 2 bulbs.

pyro
07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Exactly what I said. Means both High and low beam are HID, I never said there were 2 bulbs.

thats not what i was referring to. you said that in most cases the bulbs moves, which infact is untrue. ;)

Mirage85
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
thats not what i was referring to. you said that in most cases the bulbs moves, which infact is untrue. ;)

We are talking about the same thing, its still part of the bulb.....