first problem with my GAGT ever [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : first problem with my GAGT ever

underdave
07-14-2007, 10:21 AM
So, my Grand Am is probably severely screwed up. 6 years old, 76K miles, and never had a problem with it...............until now. Suddenly it decides it wants to leak coolant and oil somewhere. Where? I don't know. It doesn't leak out onto the driveway. Quite a bit of coolant missing, over a quart of oil missing. Then it decides it wants to idle rough and hesitate when accelerating, especially at lower speeds and when not completely warmed up. Then tonight after work, it decides it doesn't want to run at all. I have power to everything, but turn the key and.......nothing. Won't even try to turn over at all. Tried to jump start it in case the BRAND NEW battery was bad, but still nothing.

Luckily I bought an extended warranty with it, and it hasn't expired yet. So I'm sure I'll have to go to war with them to get whatever is wrong with the car paid for.

Anybody have any thoughts? A buddy of mine said it could be minor and it could be so big that the motor could be siezed and need major major work. I know it's impossible to diagnose without seeing it, but: Agree? Disagree?

Tank
07-14-2007, 10:26 AM
The coolant thing is most prob. your LIM(Lower Intake Manifold) gasket. I would say about 99% of the GA's here have had this problem. As with the other stuff dont know of the top of my head but let me think for awhile.

lvemy3100
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
as said above... it sounds like teh LIM went out on ya

get it checked and fixed asap and get that car back on the road (read: you should be fine)

gtspeed03
07-15-2007, 12:05 PM
is your starter relay clicking when you turn the key, and when you turn the key are your gages reading like your fuel.

Malaclypse
07-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Sounds like LIM and a passlock sensor.. Maybe an injection flush and a FPR for the rough running... or a clogged cat.

Extended warranties pay off in cases like this. If it wasn't for that you'd be looking at about $1,200 gone. Just expect to be without the car for a few days. If its not a GMPP policy they'll probably want to send out an inspector.