rear brake light help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rear brake light help

flan flan
07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
hey tonight i pulled into my driveway and realized my rear brake lights werent workin. The lights are on but when i press the brake neither side brightens and the third brake light doesnt come on either. i searched and couldnt find anything on fuses or if we have a switch on are brake pedal. If it is a fuse does anyone no which fuse that would be on cause i couldnt find it in any of the panels. thanks.

Lab Rat
07-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Check the switch located by the brake pedal. The switch is adjustable by pushing or pulling to get it to make proper contact. It should engage just after you start to push the pedal. If that is OK then you will have to dig a little deeper to find the prob. Good luck.

flan flan
07-17-2007, 10:19 PM
the switch works but there is either a short in it or a short somewhere in the wiring to the taillight. i pulled the switch checked the resitance and seemed normal so put back in with new fuse. it worked for about 5 minutes, then after i got everyting back together tryed it again and the fuse popped once again. am i correct in assumming that the short is internal with the switch and doesnt happen till it gets warm since it worked for 5 minutes then popped once the brake was applied?

tenspeed
07-18-2007, 07:01 AM
am i correct in assumming that the short is internal with the switch and doesnt happen till it gets warm since it worked for 5 minutes then popped once the brake was applied?

Don't assume anything. Fuses blow because too many amps are flowing. Check for wires touching metal especially in the rear where the wires pass through the body. The metal wears the insulation off and the fuse blows when power is applied.

There is nothing internal to the switch that that would short to ground.