Information Overload! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Information Overload!

Driver
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Ok!I've been reading thru the posts and found a literal mountain of great ideas to mod my GA.To be honest,TOO MANY!Now I'm not sure where to begin.

I've got a 2003 GAGT with the 3400 RamAir.My GA is my first car with any kind of performance out of the box.Until now I've had mainly practical,4cyl family cars.I don't have lots of cash(wife and 2 kids have most of it).My job has me working more than I'd like to,so time is a precious commodity.And I'm a bit concerned about how certain mods will affect warranty and insurance.And most definatly,I DON'T want to blow it up.

I'm sure many people here have been in a similar position at one time.So here is what I want to know.

How can I mod up my GA without:

*Spending more money than was spent on O.J's lawyers,
*Having so much light that airplanes try to land behind me,(I do like the lighting ideas)
*Looking like something from The Fast and the Furious.(as nice as they look,police around here are targeting those cars.Too much street racing)

I have no problem with MacGyver mods(modification you come up with yourself)
These are often very cheap when done right.

So how about it.Where did you all start in making your GA uniquely yours?

Note*Sorry if I put this in the wrong place.I'm looking for ideas from all 3 categories(Show,Go and Shine) and didn't want to post it 3 times*

cardude007617
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
basically just go into each topic, and they have a sticky on some of the basics for our cars, and some simple how to's for how to do stuff.
if u need more information feel free to ask us, we're pretty helpful in this manner. congrats on the purchase. if you treat it well, it will hold up for a long time.

Driver
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
So That's what "Sticky" is.I'll nose thru them.Thanks.:applause:

cardude007617
07-18-2007, 09:15 PM
yup. but if u need any more help someone will chime in. i personally havent done much appearence wise. mostly car audio and a lil lighting. i will say one thing tho. Grand ams are pretty easy to install a system on. i dont know if u intend to do that or not, especially with kids but ya. you have options and they're most of em are fun and easy

DrFabulous
07-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I would really reccomend stopping by www.grafxwerks.com to pick up some basic overlays, and then having a muffler shop weld up a custom exhaust for you. The next step I would go after that is getting a cold air intake from www.mpracing.org/store - that will give you a very small boost in power, but some good sound when you get on the gas.

From there, it really depends how much you want to spend. These cars look GREAT with some 17-18" rims and a nice drop, but it's well over $1300 to do it right.

Exodus
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Just be aware that these cars have a bad habit of leaking from the LIM.
Congrats on the purchas and welcom :D

kuecker_dj09
07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
congrats and welcome. after looking at your avatar, i would say look at getting a new set of headlights, they will really look nice, or if you want to stay cheap, get black vinyl overlays over the yellow on the headlights. you could also tint your rear taillights, and your reverse lights. it will make it look good!

oh i just remembered! the easiest thing to do is take 10 seconds and do a Search. chances are, its already been covered numerous times, and it will save you from having all of your threads closed by the moderators.

Driver
07-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the input,guys.I've been nosing around for things like headlights and rims and so forth.A bit pricey for right now,so I'll put those on the back burner for a bit.I am however going to try the ALS and DRL elimination tricks I read here.
A good cheap way to start.

GrandAmGT1996
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
How about some grill inserts, debadge, and maybe hit up your local tint shop?