Another Cooling issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another Cooling issue

matthar924
07-22-2007, 12:59 AM
So, I'm pretty sure that I need to replace my water pump...or I'm at least praying that this is the problem, but I'd like some input that with either confirm or deny my diagnosis.

Within the last month or two, the low coolant light would pop on and off every once in a while. Checked the coolant level and the reservoir tank was full. Got a new set of tires and was told I have the LIM leak. It was Firestone that told me this and I didn't see any leaking going on. Since then, I've mentioned that to two other mechanics who have serviced the car for various problems, and neither one thought it was leaking. Problem solved.

Lately though, the damn temp gauge jumps up to three ticks past 200, and then comes back down...usually when I'm on city roads. Once out on the highway, everything is good around 200 degrees, and the low coolant light has not returned for a week or so now. I have filled up the reservoir tank to be sure since something is leaking out, and I notice it leaking under the car about every other time I park it. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes more...but never a flood or anything. It's definitely on the passenger side and leaking down onto the frame rail on that side and I can also see it leaking onto the belt somehow and spraying it all over the place! I just can't find the damn leak.

The oil is good...not milky. The reservoir tank isn't overflowing. I hear pressure out of the cap when I slowly loosen it after a drive, and I absolutely loved it when I first took a shot of coolant to the face when it started leaking onto the belt somehow and my head just happened to be right there while I was looking for any issues. Gotta figure this out soon since it's now making something squeal when I make sharp turns...doesn't sound like a belt squeal, but seems to me to be the most likely culprit.

So, I'm hoping that this is just a water pump...and a quick fix that I can do tomorrow.

Malaclypse
07-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Does sound like a possible water pump. That's a $40 fix so start there.

However, I wouldn't rule out that your LIM gaskets are leaking just yet. Also, when you replace a leaking part on a cooling system, the next weakest part in the system will be your next leak.

cardude007617
07-22-2007, 05:57 AM
this is a lame response but, your coolant isnt leaking out the tubes that go underneath the coolant tank are they?

ryanbgb22
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a similar problem but i think it is my lim starting to go. I filled up my coolant about 3 times in the last month and a half and i can smell coolant after a long dirve. My temperature does the exact same things as yours, however from what i understant that is normal for ga's. Also like you i cannot find a leak anywhere. Start with the water pump, but my guess is that you have a lim leak as well.

matthar924
07-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Got an oil change today, and sure enough...the guys at Jiffy Lube even said the LIM is starting to go. It's barely leaking though, and is probably the water pump going out that is causing coolant to get on the belt and fling coolant everywhere. So, we'll change out the pump and pray. Have 160,000 miles on the car now and I have body damage on two sides (long story for both). So it's definitely not worth it to me to pay someone to change the LIM gaskets. Hell, I don't even know if it's worth tearing the motor apart for this. Anyone around Baltimore/DC region that would enjoy spending an a day supervising me while I do the work? I am willing to travel too.

smhawthorne
07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I have a similar problem that I am hoping somebody has experience with. I replaced the head gasket around 16K ago and had no leaks after. About 1000 miles ago I had a leak on the water outlet, the whole plastic piece disintegrated, crappy after market to only last 15K. Replaced that and no leaks (again). Now the latest, I noticed a leak on my garage floor, not a lake but not a drip either. So I checked the resivour, levels were good. I kept an eye on it for an active leak but could not find one after driving. Next day same thing leak on the floor. Looked for the culprit but couldn't find any trace. Today I finally caught the thing in action. apparently it does not leak when it is warmed up or during driving, but as it cools down when it hits about ~130 deg F it gets a pretty good leak going. Like I said not a lake but a fair amount. Not enough to show up in the resivour. After leaking for a while it stops and does not leak until the next time I run it and let it cool down. Any thoughts.

O yea, the leak is located under the water outlet, looks like the head gasket, but that is almost new and does not constantly leak.

matthar924
07-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I have a similar problem that I am hoping somebody has experience with. I replaced the head gasket around 16K ago and had no leaks after. About 1000 miles ago I had a leak on the water outlet, the whole plastic piece disintegrated, crappy after market to only last 15K. Replaced that and no leaks (again). Now the latest, I noticed a leak on my garage floor, not a lake but not a drip either. So I checked the resivour, levels were good. I kept an eye on it for an active leak but could not find one after driving. Next day same thing leak on the floor. Looked for the culprit but couldn't find any trace. Today I finally caught the thing in action. apparently it does not leak when it is warmed up or during driving, but as it cools down when it hits about ~130 deg F it gets a pretty good leak going. Like I said not a lake but a fair amount. Not enough to show up in the resivour. After leaking for a while it stops and does not leak until the next time I run it and let it cool down. Any thoughts.

O yea, the leak is located under the water outlet, looks like the head gasket, but that is almost new and does not constantly leak.

Not sure what to tell ya. I replaced the water pump last night. It still turned freely but the gasket was toast. That stopped my leaking problem...until this LIM blows...which it's on it's way to doing.

smhawthorne
07-25-2007, 07:19 AM
This leak is on the opposite side of the motor from the water pump. I had that go out several years ago, sprayed coolant everywhere. Who's the genius that integrated the water pump with the timing chain? Made a simple quick job into a nightmare. Anyway, got a mirror out to try and pinpoint the leak spot but couldn't find it. The leak is tucked up in a spot that would require removing all of the components that I had to remove to replace the water outlet in the first place, and there is also a exhaust gas return line (steel) that is bolted right in that general vicinity obscuring my view as well. I have heard that as these quad 4 aluminum heads age they start to get flexible to the point that they could give random leaks. I would like to stop the leak if possible without going into major repair. Many people suggest stop leak, but once again the genius that designed the cooling system didn't put a cap on the radiator so a person would have to dump the stop leak directly into the hose for it to circulate through the system.
Any ideals would be greatly appreciated.

gobraves00
07-25-2007, 02:49 PM
there is a great how-to on here showing how sum1 changed their LIM.it helped me when i did mine last month and my car is different than that in the pics offered. if you got air tools and some time try and tackle yourself. the full gasket set is like 160 bucks. and i was glad i was doing myself cause i found other things wrong that i was able pretty cheap. yea u have alot of miles on the car and some dents, but its paid for right?