Changed to Green [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changed to Green

iceman1793
07-22-2007, 01:55 AM
I've been reading articles about good old green antifreeze VS the orange Dexcool antifreeze. It states when your warranty has expired to switch over to green to avoid the problems we have encountered. I have already changed the LIM and the water pump while using Dexcool. This past weekend I noticied that my radiator hoses needed to be replaced. After draining the Dexcool and replacing the hoses I replaced my antifreeze with good old green.

Malaclypse
07-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Why?

Dex-cool is actually specifically formulated to protect aluminum from corrosion. It also lasts a hell of alot longer in a leak free system. That and its what your car's cooling system was designed for.

Read and believe whatever you want off the internet... Dexcool isn't the cause of the LIM gasket problem. If it was, it would have certainly been much cheaper for GM to say "Just replace the coolant" than to redesign a gasket.

silvergtjrad
07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
it would have certainly been much cheaper for GM to say "Just replace the coolant" than to redesign a gasket. Makes sense, but if you have ever pulled the heads off your car and saw the **** blocking the coolant passages, that would be enough to convince me to switch to green.

Malaclypse
07-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Makes sense, but if you have ever pulled the heads off your car and saw the **** blocking the coolant passages, that would be enough to convince me to switch to green.

Oh, I've pulled off many an intake/head to see the junk that builds up from a leaking dexcool system. However, that only happens when the dexcool has been leaking for quite a while. The areas of the block and heads that fill with power are the parts that have the air pockets. That simply doesn't happen if the system is properly maintained.

cavingman
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Makes sense, but if you have ever pulled the heads off your car and saw the **** blocking the coolant passages, that would be enough to convince me to switch to green.

yea, that stuff blocking the coolant passages isnt dexcool, or caused by the dexcool.

GrandAmC9
11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
are either of the coolants better or worse than the other in any ways?

Cliff8928
11-28-2007, 12:22 AM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The green stuff maintains it's corrosion resistance via silicates which work well but come out of solution with age which is why it needs to be changed more often. The Dex-Cool is an Organic Acid coolant which has no silicates of phosphates in it. As long as the system is not contaminated it will stay in solution. The downside is that the OAT formulations tend to eat away at certain plastics as many have seen from their intake gaskets. That's GM's fault of being cheap and not testing their products good enough.

GrandAmC9
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
thanks Cliff8928 for clarifying that it help a lot

Sprucegagt
11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The green stuff maintains it's corrosion resistance via silicates which work well but come out of solution with age which is why it needs to be changed more often. The Dex-Cool is an Organic Acid coolant which has no silicates of phosphates in it. As long as the system is not contaminated it will stay in solution. The downside is that the OAT formulations tend to eat away at certain plastics as many have seen from their intake gaskets. That's GM's fault of being cheap and not testing their products good enough.

Again why do people keep thinking Dexcool eats gaskets? There is nothing in it that will deteriorate a plastic gasket. What does happen is it will form solids when exposed to too much air. Which in turn will start to block coolant passages if you let your coolant level stay to low.

What was/is GM's problem is not checking final assembly parts for correct dimensions. That's why the LIM gaskets fail. I hate it when people keep spreading the same wrong information. If this stuff was so bad then why aren't you hearing the same complaints from the Honda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. owners?

http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf?coaid=1B5D1AEA1AFC

Cliff8928
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, It is proven that the corrosion inhibitor in Dex-Cool (2-ethylhexanoic acid) is a plasticizer. So it does soften certain plastics. There's probably a small portion of intake gaskets that have been affected by this across the board (with the 3800 too?). However the majority of the intake problems are from bad QC most likely.

nate2023
11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Been on the green crap forever, no LIM problems in sight. I dont think my car has ever had the LIM gasket changed, my friend said he never replaced it. Might just be luck though, i can't rely completely on coolant. :)