How to hotwire a grand am [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to hotwire a grand am

carsisadam
07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
ok.
I drove my car to a hotel to visit some family and when I went to leave my ignition was stuck! It has happed a few times before and all I had to do was jiggle the key a bit.
But now it won't budge at all. I have even tried using my spare key.
It is a long way home and I can not afford to pay for a tow truck right now and the hotel will tow it if I don't move it.
How do I hot wire it?
I found a few directions online but I need to know which color wires to use.

Thanks

DrFabulous
07-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I do not know how to steal a Grand Am, sorry. Please post up for the rest of the world to see :rolleyes:

carsisadam
07-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Please take this seriously people! I am in trouble and I OWN this car. I have every right in the world to hot wire it!
Search my name, I have posted before about this car.

So please help me out. I need to get it out of this parking lot today.

DrFabulous
07-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Please take this seriously people! I am in trouble and I OWN this car. I have every right in the world to hot wire it!
Search my name, I have posted before about this car.

So please help me out. I need to get it out of this parking lot today.

You don't get what I'm saying. If someone posts on how to hotwire the car, than everyone knows that reads this page. No thanks.

nascarnate326
07-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Im sure Bob will chime in and let you know how to do it...

carsisadam
07-22-2007, 10:49 AM
oh. I see.
If anyone know, please email me at carsisadam@yahoo.com instead.
thanks

silvergtjrad
07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Ibtl?

mfuller
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Did you try turning the steering wheel a bit? That can help to unlock the ignition cylinder.

brim
07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
only other way to "hotwire" a car is to jump the hot to a starter, either by a positiive feed to the solenoid and then removing it or same idea though the ignition switch i'd assume

although with passlock setups and all that junk i've no idea

carsisadam
07-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Turning the wheel won't work. The lock is completely seized up. So I followed my my Hanes manual instructions on how to take this all apart. I disconected the wires and hooked up all the ones that are needed to "Run" and "Start" I can then hold the two together that sends power to the starter. The starter cranks over, but the engine wont fire up. This is similar to if you are trying to start a car that is out of gas. What should I do??? I have power to everything ie.. windows, radio, instrument panels ect. but I am either lacking power to the spark plugs or the fuel pump. This doesn't make sense because everything is wired up to connect exactly as if I had the key turned to run.
I checked all my fuses and checked my fuel pump relay and all is good.
Does anyone know what I am missing?
Help!

BrumrDan
07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Turning the wheel won't work. The lock is completely seized up. So I followed my my Hanes manual instructions on how to take this all apart. I disconected the wires and hooked up all the ones that are needed to "Run" and "Start" I can then hold the two together that sends power to the starter. The starter cranks over, but the engine wont fire up. This is similar to if you are trying to start a car that is out of gas. What should I do??? I have power to everything ie.. windows, radio, instrument panels ect. but I am either lacking power to the spark plugs or the fuel pump. This doesn't make sense because everything is wired up to connect exactly as if I had the key turned to run.
I checked all my fuses and checked my fuel pump relay and all is good.
Does anyone know what I am missing?
Help!

Your missing the key, is your security light coming on at all??? :horse:

carsisadam
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I have disconected the key cylinder so I don't need the key. I have connected the wires that were connected to the key cylinder together as per the hanes manual specs. As far as I can tell, when I connect them all together, every thing looks just as if I had the key in. All the power works and the instrument panels are lite up as usual. I can touch the two wires together to send power to the starter and the starter cranks up, but the engine will not run. I have a feeling that there is something else that is not hooked in, and it does not allow the engine to get gas or somethin.

Also, where is the transmission shifter release button on a 2000 automatic grand am gt?
On most auto trans, there is a button or something that you can manually push in order to release the shifter to put it in neutral. I can not find it. I may be able to get a friend to pull my car, but I need to get it into neutral but I can't turn my damn key in order to change gears. Any ideas?

Malaclypse
07-22-2007, 09:37 PM
You have to be able to turn the ignition switch in order to shift the car form inside. Otherwise you're going to have to get under the hood, disconnect the shift cable and shift it manually from there while its running.

That and you can't get the car to run without your passlock sensor reading from the ignition lock cylinder. Which the BCM won't get unless you can actually turn the lock cylinder to align with the contacts in the sensor. Basically you're up the proverbial creek unless you install a DEI passlock bypass while you're there.

blazerk5drew
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
pull the center radio bezel off and then unbolt the ignition switch...then u should be able to pull the switch out and either use a wiring diagram to figure out how to start it electronically or try and use a screwdriver to break the switch....believe it or not many of these after time already have "gm ignition syndrom and will start without a key and also yo ucan remove the key once started

BrumrDan
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I repeat, when you try to crank the starter, and it doesn't start, is your security light coming on and blinking, b/c if it is, your passlock system engages, and you need to insert and turn the key to the on position to reset it... just a thought

cavingman
07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
just reach under the dash, rip some wires out and touch 2 of them together.
works in the movies, right?

hass
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
just reach under the dash, rip some wires out and touch 2 of them together.
works in the movies, right?

This is what I did when I had the same exact problem.
Except I was at a motel, not a hotel.
Guess I must have just gotten lucky.
Who knew.