stock intake system [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : stock intake system

Archangel
07-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Hi guys. I don't know if someone already posted this or if this is useful at all but I took the factory air intake system last night and damn that's a restrictive thing. For those of you who haven't seen it, here is a pic. It has resonators everywhere and a whole lot of bends. I already have a design in mind for a RamAir system that will replace it. I'll post pics.

cardude007617
07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
that isnt a ram air intake u got there, its just the regular 4cyl intake. and to save you multiple flames soon to be arriving here, ram air is stupid on our cars, nothing more than a selling gimick. cold air intakes are the only upgrade. there is nothing you can do to the stock Ram Air to make it any better either

Archangel
07-24-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm not saying this is a RamAir system. I'm saying I will be installing a custom RamAir system. Not the factory one. I will build something like a RamAir system with an Air box that will work as an air capacitor. It will be nothing like the factory RamAir setup. Kind of like a RamAir/CAI hybrid.

DrFabulous
07-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Interesting... but a CAI will work much better for you.

cardude007617
07-24-2007, 06:41 AM
I already have a design in mind for a RamAir system that will replace it. I'll post pics.
sounds like a ram air to me man.
Interesting... but a CAI will work much better for you.
i 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this comment. i could tell imidiately when i upgraded. the throttle response is much better now and i can tell a slight boost in power.
trust us all, get a cai.

kuecker_dj09
07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
not to be a kink in your chain, but your much better off with a CAI, or at the least, a WAI..but a CAI is an inexpensive upgrade that will increase the airflow, and have a colder denser air charge heading into the manifold..however it really wont show any gains, just quicker throttle response, and hell, it sounds cool

cardude007617
07-24-2007, 06:52 AM
however it really wont show any gains, just quicker throttle response, and hell, it sounds cool

exactly, it sure as hell does sound cool :) i love it when i really get on the throttle sounds like i actually have a muscle car haha. but ya seriously, now there's 3 of us saying scrap the ram air idea and go cai.

Archangel
07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, I know there's a thread somewhere that discusses CAI vs. RA . The thing is, I'm not talking about a stock RA system. It would be a custom made RA. I don't want to sound like I don't wanna listen to you guys, I just want to hear the reasoning behind your advices. A CAI, with the filter away from the heat of the engine compartment makes sense. Now, if I could take a large pipe that routes outside air from the grille directly into an enclosure where the CAI's filter is...wouldn't that be better?

onesexyga
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
If youre looking to pipe air into the cai, why not just cut open the fake indents next to the foglight on that side. The cai sits in that area, and by opening that you'd be introducing even more air (and also 'ram' air, in effect since it would increase at speed).

Archangel
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
My car's an SE so it doesn't have the indents. Also, it would be such a small inlet that it wouldn't work anyway.

Dj Red E
07-24-2007, 02:50 PM
when i had my GA I did that. I used a vent duct from home depot. It looked like a triangular shaped scoop, cut a hole into the black plastic under the front fender, mounted it, and fit the tube to fit right over the filter. I think it made a very small gain, if any. But more cold air is better so it was worth the 5 bucks for the homemade scoop.

DrFabulous
07-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Well, I know there's a thread somewhere that discusses CAI vs. RA . The thing is, I'm not talking about a stock RA system. It would be a custom made RA. I don't want to sound like I don't wanna listen to you guys, I just want to hear the reasoning behind your advices. A CAI, with the filter away from the heat of the engine compartment makes sense. Now, if I could take a large pipe that routes outside air from the grille directly into an enclosure where the CAI's filter is...wouldn't that be better?

Not if the filter is still inside the hot engine bay.

SCOTTY SEELEN
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I've read that the Ram-Air intake is worthless on these cars according to this site. What's so bad about it? I just got my 2004 GT Ram-Air and did a quick look at the intake system after finding this site. It looks like it gets air from the bottom and then directly from the front of the car. I was just going to install a K&N filter in the airbox. Is it really that restrictive? Any pictures? I'm new, so don't kill me.

cardude007617
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
search and you will find!
or just click these links:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8075&highlight=CAI
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5898&highlight=CAI
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22147

SCOTTY SEELEN
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Got it, thanks.
One more quick question. When I bought my car, there was another Ram-Air right beside it, but it didn't have the Ram-Air hood. Both were 2004 models. Is this an appearance package, and if so, do you know what the option cost? I thought I would ask this question here, instead of start a new thread on such a simple question I'm sure most of you know. Thanks again.

DrFabulous
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Got it, thanks.
One more quick question. When I bought my car, there was another Ram-Air right beside it, but it didn't have the Ram-Air hood. Both were 2004 models. Is this an appearance package, and if so, do you know what the option cost? I thought I would ask this question here, instead of start a new thread on such a simple question I'm sure most of you know. Thanks again.

It's appearance. The hood/spoiler package is probably close to $1000 before paint from the dealer, more like $750 aftermarket.

Archangel
07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Not if the filter is still inside the hot engine bay.

The filter will be inside a sealed enclosure, so it won't suck hot air from the engine bay. The "stored" air inside the box could warm up a bit since the box would get hot anyway, although not as much as having the filter exposed inside the engine bay, but once the cool air starts rushing in everything will be cool and dense.

WeibSunder
07-26-2007, 05:14 PM
If you really want to do the whole "ram air" deal, why don't you just run pipping up to the front of the car (scrap the whole air box) and at the end of the pipping towards the front put on a Y pipe and put dual cone filters (K&N filters). Only saying dual cone filters because you want "ram air".

cardude007617
07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
seriously dude. ram air on a 60 degree motor is futal and useless. unless u plan on driving your car facing left all the time, the air will have to make a 90 degree turn into the throttle body thus losing anything the ram air actually gains.
-get a cold air intake, put it in, bask in the amazingness of how it sounds, feel the 4-9 horsepower gains, AND YOUR DONE!

Jake
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
seriously dude. ram air on a 60 degree motor is futal and useless. unless u plan on driving your car facing left all the time, the air will have to make a 90 degree turn into the throttle body thus losing anything the ram air actually gains.
-get a cold air intake, put it in, bask in the amazingness of how it sounds, feel the 2-3 horsepower gains, AND YOUR DONE!

Jake
07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
-get a cold air intake, put it in, bask in the amazingness of how it sounds, feel the 2-3 horsepower gains, AND YOUR DONE!

WeibSunder
07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
-get a cold air intake, put it in, bask in the amazingness of how it sounds, feel the 4-9 horsepower gains, AND YOUR DONE!

If it's futile, then why even get a CAI?

cardude007617
07-26-2007, 07:28 PM
because a cai is better and flows easier. ram air was just a selling gimick when these things were sold. it's been said countless times on here. we are just re-iterating what has been said many times. but someone thinks they can prove us wrong.
feel the 2-3 horsepower gains
and i think its a lil more that 2-3. 4-7 is more honest

Jake
07-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Its all in your head. :angel

cardude007617
07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
the throttle response also improves with the cai, along with the mileage as noted before. again the cai is deifinetly a win win buy. easy on the wallet, simple to put in, and u can see some results from it.

DrFabulous
07-28-2007, 06:08 AM
because a cai is better and flows easier. ram air was just a selling gimick when these things were sold. it's been said countless times on here. we are just re-iterating what has been said many times. but someone thinks they can prove us wrong.

and i think its a lil more that 2-3. 4-7 is more honest

I highly doubt just adding a CAI to a stock GA would get you more than 3-4.

cardude007617
07-28-2007, 06:54 AM
well 3-4 for around $170 is better than 300-400 for a new exhaust or more. unless we're talking borla for 800 plus install for what maybe 5-7 at the wheels

DrFabulous
07-28-2007, 07:05 AM
well 3-4 for around $170 is better than 300-400 for a new exhaust or more. unless we're talking borla for 800 plus install for what maybe 5-7 at the wheels

Meh, I would still say to get exhaust and CAI. Good sound, good look, and it'll let the engine breathe a little better.

cardude007617
07-28-2007, 07:23 AM
right right, there is no doubt that doing both is best. but for the money, a cai is good

DrFabulous
07-28-2007, 07:41 AM
right right, there is no doubt that doing both is best. but for the money, a cai is good

I dare say custom PCM is better :D

cardude007617
07-28-2007, 08:54 AM
haha someone's being difficult.
ok here cai and PCM is the best 300 bucks spent