Slight left turn = inconsistent metallic sound [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Slight left turn = inconsistent metallic sound

matthar924
07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Just when making an ever so slight left turn...like when I change lanes on the highway, and at low speeds, it makes this metallic noise on the left side..like a higher but shorter pitched belt squeal. It's not a consistent sound like bad rotors make (I get that lovely sound on the right side of the car even though the rotor seems to look okay). The brakes don't pulsate or grind when stopping, and from what I can see through the wheel, the pads look worn, but they aren't down to the wear strip yet. The left rotor does have some scoring action going on. I hosed down the wheels last night with water and that put a damper on the sound, so I can only pinpoint that it is some part of the brakes.

I'm tempted to replace at least the pads..and possibly the rotors while I'm at it, but I'm not even sure that this will solve the problem. Any ideas?

stillriza
07-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I get the exact same thing but when turning right, but my pads are nearly new, just a month or 2 old. And my rotors are fine. It appears as it is coming from the front right side.. but I only hear it when I am making a right turn or turning right to park into my spot. Mostly sharp turns though. I think there was a TSB on something i read similar. I will have to look into it.

bryanw0087
07-26-2007, 12:18 PM
i heard that sometimes when your hub is going bad it makes a squeal noise when turning, not 100% positive tho

if it turns out to be that problem i have a brand new wheel hub in box if either of you need it, just pm me

drumking1721
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Bring this thread back up, Im having the same issue,any ideas? Im thinkin its the rotors,its happening more and more

gaowners32
07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
i heard that sometimes when your hub is going bad it makes a squeal noise when turning, not 100% positive tho

if it turns out to be that problem i have a brand new wheel hub in box if either of you need it, just pm me

Whats he said...... I had the same thing in the beginning then the sound became constant......its the HUBS change both if your keeping the car past 100,000 miles.

PhantomLover007
07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
IDK if mine are doing too, but IK that I need to throw new brakes on too.... lol ;crap

drumking1721
07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Wasnt sure if it was the hubs...will do

mlog
05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Wasnt sure if it was the hubs...will do

Did a new hub fix the squeal?

FromTheInside
06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
The hubs usually groan not squeal. You're 100% sure it isn't the tab on the pad indicating that it is getting low?