water in my engine?!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : water in my engine?!?

OktaYneX
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Ok...I ran through a really deep puddle. It didnt look deep from a few feet away. My car stalled in the puddle, and this was last week. I finally got some time off, and decided to play with it today. I pulled out my dipstick, and it looked like caramel(sp) on it. I opened the oil cap, and it looked the same. Im told i sucked up a LOT of water, and thats how it got in there. It looks really thick. Im gonna try to take some pics. Nevertheless, I was wondering, could I have a blow head gasket. Im pretty new with this stuff, but I was under the impression that when the gasket blows, coolant and oil may mix causing the oil to look like that. Anyone know what might be up? Thanks in advance.

coupe
07-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Sounds to me you have a LIM leak.

Run a search on that.

2004grandamgt
07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
ya intake leak

PhantomLover007
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
If you blew you gasket or cracked a head, the coolant leak would cause the exhaust to produce a cloud of white smoke, if driven long enough. The the engine would be extremely sluggish and cut off a lot. I had that happen to me when I had my '88 LeMans.

99gav6
07-26-2007, 03:14 PM
When my car had a blown gasket and cracked head you could definitely smell the coolant through the exhaust and could see it drip. Anyway what kind of "puddle" do you go through that causes your car to suck up water?

OktaYneX
07-26-2007, 08:51 PM
When my car had a blown gasket and cracked head you could definitely smell the coolant through the exhaust and could see it drip. Anyway what kind of "puddle" do you go through that causes your car to suck up water?

It was about 3 feet deep, 20 feet wide. It didnt look that big. What sucked is was I was on my way home from the food store...all my frozen **** melted.

However, I was board today, and decided to change the oil for the hell of it. What do ya know, it started up like nothing ever happened. I really didnt wanna change it, because if the gasket was bad, the oil would of just mixed with coolant or whatever....but I had to do it...and it worked.

I appriciate everyone who tried to help me.

silvergtjrad
07-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I dont think you would have ever gotten out of that puddle if it were three feet deep, thats just about up to your door handles.

99gav6
07-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Glad to hear its fixed. Hopefully its not just temporary though.

OktaYneX
07-27-2007, 09:27 PM
I dont think you would have ever gotten out of that puddle if it were three feet deep, thats just about up to your door handles.

So I bent the truth a little, lol. but it was deep enough for me. I opened my door and a lil bit of water came in. I would of just climbed through the window, but Im not the slimmest guy around.

Glad to hear its fixed. Hopefully its not just temporary though.

Thanks. I had to change the oil three times to get all the water out. It is running a little sluggish, but there is no smoking or overheating. So, Im good so far.

OktaYneX
07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds to me you have a LIM leak.

Run a search on that.

I did, thanks man. Now I know what to watch out for. One question though, I cant seem to see a difference in the LIM or a head gasket...unless im missing it, which I probabily am.

lone_wolf025
07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Just to be safe, check the area where the header pipe crossiver is and the passneger, er driver's side of the motor. If you see a puddle of coolant in that little divet you've got a LIM leak. If its dry as a bone you're ok for the time being. Keep a close ey on your oil for a while though.

Sorry about the bad typying...I'm a little "intoxicated" at the moment...

OktaYneX
07-28-2007, 05:37 PM
well, it was working ok...
untill a little bit ago I went to start it and check fluids and whatnot and when i started it, it was idling at 2500

OktaYneX
08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
ok...noob question...

I need to clean my throttle body, so im told. I seem to have a problem locating it. Ill tell ya, on my sunfire, everything was like "bam, in ya face". If someone could give me a general idea as to where its located, that would be great.

P.S

Anyone ever hear of putting desel fuel into where you normally put oil? I was told (by the same person), that doing this may clean out the oil pan and everything in that system, and tell me if there are any gaskets leaking...but im kinda skeptical.

Mendoza
08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I have no idea what you think your fixing by doing what your doing. If i was you the first thing i would have done was remove the spark plugs and turn the car over to see if it spits out water. Then after that i would run a compression test to make sure i didn't have any bent valves , fried pistions, bad rings, bad headgasket etc.

Mike Jung
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
P.S

Anyone ever hear of putting desel fuel into where you normally put oil? I was told (by the same person), that doing this may clean out the oil pan and everything in that system, and tell me if there are any gaskets leaking...but im kinda skeptical.
:wtf :nono:

What is the flash point of diesel ?
Above 62 C / 143 F.
What would happen if the diesel hits that temp ?
lol
(Auto-igition point of diesel is above 177C / 350F.)

Ajaxus
08-02-2007, 06:53 PM
dooooooooooo it /starsky-hutch

no, please don't..we don't need a darwin awards nominee..

OktaYneX
08-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Well, im glad I asked first. Heh, im gonna pull out the sparkplugs and whatnot. If i cant get it after that, looks like im gonna have to take it to a mechanic, and cruise in mah 94 econoline...heh, not for just work after all.

OktaYneX
08-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Im gonna like...buy u guys a pizza for the help or somthing...lol

I have a manual compression tester, but unsure how to disable the ignition module...i thought i could pull the fuse out. I just wanted to see if anyone knew about that before i did it.

Mendoza
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Just disconnect all your plugs.