Water leak pt. 2 Please read! need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water leak pt. 2 Please read! need help

zx7ninja
07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi all,
Note: I did post a similar thread a couple weeks ago, but as the problem has changed DRASTICALLY, and equally changing the situation, I felt it warranted a new thread, as the problem is nowhere near what was posted in the original.

Anyway, I had a water leak. Floor got wet, and I had electrical problems. It's happened before to mebers on here. I didn't think it was a big deal, and set out to clean it up and repair the car to working order.
Well, I started taking the car apart, and it just got worse and worse. Got the passenger seat out, got the rug up. A good 2 inches of water down there.

Ended up pulling the driver's side out. Another 2 inches.
Long story short, I ended up gutting the car almost. All that's left is the dash/steering wheel, back deck, and headliner. Everything else has been gutted.

I had almost 2 inches of water throughout the car. Front and back. I never noticed the leak because the factory sound deadening absorbed a lot, and that had plastic on the back anyway which blocked the water.

The factory sound deadening was trashed. Slimy, and starting to get moldy. Apparently, this leak has been going an for a LONG time, but under the surface, unnoticed.

Well, as luck would have it, Murphy's law struck again. No sooner than I started working on the car, than it started pouring. CT got huge rains storms for days. I did cover the car, but apparently the leak is not coming from where I thought it was. (I though it was the sunroof drainage tracks, as has happened before on here. Not so)

Well, because I was wrong, the car filled up again. And on top of that, the weather was 90+ and AWFUL AWFUL humidity. The rains were on and off for days.

I had to go back to work, so the car sat for the past few days. I was unable to do anything to it at all. Work, my kids are sick, and my gf needs surgery. I had no time.

Well, after sitting like that in the nasty weather, I now have mold starting throughout my car.

The metal, the headliner, truck, dashboard, glove compartment, even the damn steering wheel. Everywhere.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to clean it.

We can't claim it on our comprehensive coverage. It would be covered, but our rates would go up for 5 years. (CT goes back 5 years for insurance claims)
Our rates are bad enough out here, they're barely affordable. This would ba a huge claim, if not a total.
Not to mention, even if it did get totalled, I could not get an equivalent replacement.
It's a 2001, only has 65k on it, and runs like a freakin' top. No way could I replace that.
I'd get maybe 3500, and end up with a beat up car with 120k. Can't do it.

Not to mention all the cash i've sunk into the car. (custom stereo, and I mean built for the car. amp rack, custom box, etc.. Header, exhaust, GT body kit, etc....)

I have no idea how to fix this. Please, any help, advice, or input is appreciated. I need to know what to do. I'm lost. And i'm screwed.;crap

PhantomLover007
07-30-2007, 07:05 PM
You haven't had any problems with the heater core or with the A/C drain backing up? Sorry I'm not much help, i'm just throwing things out there of possible water sources inside the car. I have had issues with a heater core going bad, but that would cause you to have to constantly refill the coolant and cause the car to overheat. ;crap

zx7ninja
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
No problems with the heater. Works fine.
AC works if recharged, I recharged it last year, and it worked fine all summer. The beginning of this summer it wasnot working again, so there's something wrong with it. But not sure what.

HOWEVER- It rained again yesterday evening, and I was able to get under the dash. I can see 3 decent sized lines of water coming down the firewall, from somewhere up and behind the glove box.
It's the only source of water I can find.

Any ideas on what it could be?

iceman
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Most likely is the blower intake deflector.. I just posted a how-to the other day on how to replace it. Also there is a waterleak diagnosis guide in the TSB section that's spot on..

ledfreak
07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
^^ I'm with iceman on this. Check the deflector & drain too.

While you've got things apart take a look at the bottom sealing strip on the windshield, the early version was hard plastic & was prone to cracking & did not seal properly on the windshield. The new bottom sealing strips are all rubber (compound I suppose) & much more flexible.

zx7ninja
08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Oh my god.

I have been working on my car. I looked in that how-to post, and followed it. I found that the foam piece that was talked about. It sees as half of it has lost the adhesive, and the water was going right into the vent, then out to the floor. Also, the seal around the bottom of my windshield is shot.

HOWEVER- When I started taking things apart, I noticed the mold problem was worse than I thought. So I took more apart to clean it. And it got worse. So I took more apart. And it got worse.

Man, my car is INFESTED! EVERYWHERE!
So much worse than I even thought just a couple of days ago.
I really don't know what to do now. It will take hours and hours and hours of cleaning to clean it all. I have to go as far as taking the rest of the dashboard off, take it out of the car, and clean all inside the heating/cooling ducting. All of it. And everything else back there.

I think i'm going to take pics, so you can see what i'm talking about. What i'm afraid of, is after it's all clean and put back together, it may all just come back again in relatively short time. And i'll have to do it all again. Over and over. Mold is so hard to get rid of.
And they car stinks now. Bad.

So I now have a couple of questions.

1. How the hell do I clean it? What cleaner is good for mold inside cars? All of the household stuff is no good on vinyl, plastic, or seat material. Can't use bleach.

2. What are my chances of successfully getiing rid of the infestation?
My girlfriend is now reconsidering claiming it, but before we called the insurance co we wanted to know what you think.
I do NOT want to claim the car. I would rather fix it, cost and time be damned. Whatever it takes as far as money and labor.
It'll still be cheaper than what our rates would go to.

Thoughts? Suggestions? We really need the help here. We have 2 little girls, and need a car in case anything were to happen.

Thanks!!

Lorenzo2
08-04-2007, 02:00 PM
first question; have you checked the seal on the bottom of the windshield? i had the same thing with my old t-bird which is why i ask. next question; have you checked all door seals? what about the rear windshield? and one last question; was your sunroof covered when the rain hit? if so you can rule that out altogether. if your seal on the windshield is leaking it can & will run down the pillers and behind the dash, on the floor, and the worst part about this FBS is you won't see it unless you pull the pillars, dash, and sit in the car with a flashlight(if at night) while its raining to see where it comes from. that would explain the elec. probs you've been having. if you have any other Q's shoot me at wyliecoyote.wylie@us.army.mil. i'm in germany but i should be able to at least A your Q's when i get off work. and the cleaning thing, well when i bought mine some a-hole had spilled something in the backseat and with it at the lot, stuff started growing and i didn't know till 2 mos. later. i used LYSOL DISINFECTANT SPRAY and it worked after 2 treatments(spraying on the mold, wiping it up after a couple mins, than another cote, thats one) just make sure if you try it, do it on a dry day so you can leave the doors open when your done for a couple of hrs. so it can dry out. good luck bro.

AaronGAGT
08-04-2007, 03:28 PM
This similar thing happened to me on my brother's car. The firewall actually started to rust out. I also gutted the entire thing (nothing but the dash left in) and you could see the giant rust hole through the firewall. There was actually a spot where the heater core went through the firewall and also a big spot under the blower intake deflector piece. Never had the problem with the mold though.

Maybe put bleach in a spray bottle and start hittin the problem spots?

zx7ninja
08-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Just an update:

I gutted the car completely. It has been cleaned successfully, and I started the rebuild process today.
Got the dash back in, all the fuse blocks back in, speedo/tach is in, etc....
Center console is in, rear seats are in. A few other things.

It's all coming along nicely.

Here's what the problem was:

Yes, the foam piece under the black cowling in front of the windshield before the hood was bad.

ALSO

The windshield gasket GM used on the windshield was shot. Water was coming in through that.

ALSO

And here's the biggie....Either the windshiled shifted, or it was installed incorrectly. It is over to the right about a 1/4 or so too far. I can tell, because it barely sits in the windshield gasket in the lower passenger's corner. The driver's side fits fine, the passenger side just barely touches it. This let dirt in, which eventually travelled the length of the gasket. Now it's shot.

And before anyone asks, I have not had the windshield replaced. I bought the car new, and it's still the factory windshield.

So I just replaced the gasket, fitted it correctly, and used c'lear windshield caulk to fill the hole left in the lower pasenger corner that was now visible because the gasket was fitted to the windshield now. (big enough to get my pinky through it!)

So it was a triple threat!
Thanks for the tips, guys. I wouldn't have found all of the causes without you.

PS: Aren't there supposed to be stoppers at the bottom of the windshield? My car has none. Other cars i've seen have had them, i'm just not sure if our GA's have them.

PhantomLover007
08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Damn man. Sorry you had to go through so much ****. I don't think I would have been able to pull the windshield and **** apart. Props for being able to do the **** on your own. :applause: