Engine Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problems

Zero
07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello everyone

For the last month in a half my car has either been the shop being fix or running like crap. First had my intake gaskets replaced. Then had my tps sensor and wiring harness replace because the transmission was acting weird(plus the harness was jacked wired together.) Just recently had the egr replaced because of the code P1404.

Which brings me to my problem know. My car is still putting out the CEL (check engine light) For the same code. And the car is misfireing on all the cyls.

I have done some minor mods,
Custom CAI
MSD Igintion(MSD Coil Packs, MSD 8.5 Wires, and Bosch Platium +4)
and that is about it.

I put back the stock air system and the engine stilled idea extremely rough,but the funny things is it runs beatifully while I drive.

It is a 1998 Grand Am GT with the 3.1L V6
61,xxx miles on it.

I hope some one can help me.

kms_dude1
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
i would say its the msd one of the coils might be bad inside

Zero
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
How would the coil be bad? The car still idle rough with the old oem coils.

silvergtjrad
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
why would you even bother modding the car if it ran rough already?

gobraves00
08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
no vaccum leaks
from what i read around here is that GA's are very specific on plugs and wires, check around and see what works for others

cardude007617
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
ok first thing. GET THOSE FREAKING BOSCH +4s OUT OF YOUR CAR NOW! god my car came with them for some reason and i swear it ran so much better and more efficent after i got some NGK TR55 1.88 a plug spark plugs in there.

kms_dude1
08-01-2007, 10:47 PM
How would the coil be bad? The car still idle rough with the old oem coils.

not to be a smart a$$ but why does stuff happen sometimes? it just does.
so did it run rough before you put those on or what is it actually doin?

Zero
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Before i did anything it sound like it need a tune up so I did the tune up myself. I figured I was going to do a few more mods so I payed the extra money for the coils. I figure know that it was a waste because people tell me those coils are used for forced inductions. Man I need to ask questions before I do anything. Sorry for being a bone head you must think I am a complete dunce. I will change the plugs right away. Should I just get the v-power or Iridium IX and also what should be the gap for the plugs.

Malaclypse
08-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Stock gap of 0.060" and use the copper cores if you don't mind changing them more often.

Zero
08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Well I replace the bosch with a set of ac delcos rapidfires. The car runs a little bit better but it still idles rough. I did have the egr valve replaced about a month and a half ago. The car still show the code p1404 idicating a problem with the egr valve. I brought the car back to the garage to see if they can fix it but they were dumbfounded. Because the egr valve is new(I check it myself and it looks news compared to the old one) and the same code keeps coming up could it be a problem with the computer. The spark plugs that I put in are gaped to .060 and I put some anti-seize on it.

XtremeGaGt00
08-05-2007, 05:57 PM
yah, i had the same problem with the bosch platinum +4's, they are no good, and i blew 2 coil packs ...thats when i didnt know any better

Panacea
08-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Clean your fuel injectors that could cause misfires.

Zero
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Well I have not change the fuel filter so I am replacing that tomorrow and running a fuel system cleaner after replacing. If that does not work then I will clean or replace the injectors. If I were going to replace them how would I do it, Would I have to remove the UIM??