First post and a question... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : First post and a question...

willierides
07-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Hi. Just found this place yesterday and signed up. My 17 year old son just bought his first car, a 1995 Grand Am GT. It needs a little work (front power window motor/regulators, exhaust, etc). It runs well and seems pretty tight with 105k miles.

One question I need to figure out (I'm helping him work on it) is how do I, or CAN I, get to the reverse switch for the back-up lights. I searched on here and some other forums and the only thing I can figure out is that it's "in the tranny". Can it be replaced without pulling the tranny? If not, I plan on figuring something else out.....some kind of limit switch rigged to the shift linkage or something. Has anyone done that? Any "how to's" would be appreciated. If I end up doing a mod, I'll post step by step's on here in case others have the same problem as I suspect.

Thanks for any help!

Lab Rat
07-31-2007, 06:37 AM
The back up light switch is mounted on the outside of the tranny. I can't really help you find it since I have a newer model (and a 5 speed) but it is threaded in and you just have to replace it if broke. Or find the short that's causing the problem. Good luck.

willierides
07-31-2007, 07:37 AM
The back up light switch is mounted on the outside of the tranny. I can't really help you find it since I have a newer model (and a 5 speed) but it is threaded in and you just have to replace it if broke. Or find the short that's causing the problem. Good luck.

Thanks. That is encouraging. This is a 5-speed, too.

Bryan
07-31-2007, 08:21 AM
You might wanna ask this over on www.gaownersclub.com as well. You'll find more pre 99's GAs over there.

willierides
07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
You might wanna ask this over on www.gaownersclub.com as well. You'll find more pre 99's GAs over there.

Thanks. I'm actually registered but waiting for activation. I can't post yet.;crap

willierides
07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, I found the switch. I am 99% sure it's bad, unless something is amiss INSIDE the tranny. I pulled the connector and I get voltage to the switch. When I jumper across the connector...VOILA.....the lights work.

The tough part is going to be getting the old one out. It's pretty cruddy down in there and I can't even tell for sure how it screws in. Hopefully I can just get a socket on it with a long extension and back it out. It's tight. I'll have to remove the battery and part of what appears to be some emissions crap going from the air filter to the intake.