2000 GAGT Overheating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GAGT Overheating

Mark Detrick
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a 2000 GAGT with the 3.4 engine. A few weeks ago I was a mile or so from home when an alrm sounded and I noticed that the temp gauge was rising near 260. I immediately shut the engine off and pulled to the side of the road. I waited 5 mnutes or so and restarted the car and the temp gauge moved back to around 200 so I drove home and took it to the garage the next day. They replaced the thermostat. ( Intake gaskets had been replaced a few months ago )

The last few days the problem has returned. It seems that when I start up in the morning the car initially seems ok. As I am going through town the temp starts to come up but once it gets to around 200 it quickly goes toward 260 ( the alarm also sounds ). I immediately sut the car off and wait a 5-10 seconds and restart the car. The temp comes right back down to 200 and is fine after that. This has happened to me the last three mornings in a row. Any idea what might be going on?

Panacea
07-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Is your coolant reservoir cap tightened all the way? Is it possibly cracked? Is any coolant coming out of the overflow tubing?

Mark Detrick
07-31-2007, 03:08 PM
No coolant is coming out the overflow. The cap is tight. I'm not sure about the cap being cracked but when I removed the cap the other day there was a little pressure in the system so I would assume there is no crack. I also checked to be sure that the fan is running when this happening and it was.

Mark Detrick
08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Additional Information....it seems like the problem is consistantly happening after a cold start. I start the car and watch as the temp gauge rises. The temp goes right past 200 to 260 and the light and the alarm goes off. I stop the car, wait a few seconds and restart the car. The temp usually reads around 240 at this point but them temp starts going back down to around 200 and stays the the remained of the time. It happened to me this again afternoon but when I restarted the gauge stayed at 100. I shut it off and restarted and the gauge went to about 240 and then started back down.

Anybody have any ideas? The thermostat was replaced a few ago ( after this started happening ). Maybe I should just try putting a new coolant sensor in?

gtken1
08-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I had the same problem an so did my close friend a me both have GA's with the 3.4... in both of are cases it was the head gasket... you might want to get it checked out... but if it is the problem get ready for a big bill... im still having a little over heating problems my self but its cause i have a bad fan motor but if its the head gasket i still would recomend you to replace the theromstat with a lower temp one... when i talked to the dealer ship about mine the told me that the stock head gasket is only about the thickness of three papers... but the one they repaced it with was about 1/8 inch thick... of a hint of the gasket being bad is oil leaking aroung the intake of the heads an you coolant will turn a nasty brown color

Mark Detrick
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I spent some time ( and a few bucks ) over the weekend and it appears that the problem is fixed. Unfortunely, I changed several things at once so I'm not sure which one fixed the problem.

Fiirst, I found the coolant resevoir tank level sensor was disconnected. I'm not sure how it became disconnected but it was just dangling below the resevior.

Even though the thermostat was recently replaced it seemed like the most likely culprit to me so I put a new one in. Since I was working in the area I threw a new temperature sensor in as well.

So far, the problem I was having has not reocccurred....everything sems to be working as it should.

Thanks for your suggestions.