Can't Turn over engine - Back Fireing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can't Turn over engine - Back Fireing

juanvan
08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Its a 3300 Engine, Ran ok before sitting for 6 months. Went to jump it, and on if first full turn over it back fired. After about 10 attempts, the stopped turning over at all. The power was still good to the car, and the headlights still remained power, only dimming when we tried to start it. I believe the engine is now pressure locked, since this would most likely when the engine would backfire.

Since the engine is an EFI, I am to believe that the problem is with the Valves. Could have something happened while the car was just sitting? The Valves are pretty dry from the oil cap into the heads.

Thanks,
John

silvercoupe
08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
take the battery out of the car, take it to autozone, get it checked,, (its more than likely dead,, even though your lights are on, doesnt mean your car will turn on, happened to me before). if its empty,, charge it, ,if its dead, replace it. if its good, put back in. leave the booster cables on it for like 15 minutes before starting to crank again.
ever boost a car before? it takes time.....

by the way,, why do you have a 3300 on a 2000 GT?

silvercoupe
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
oh wait,, also check all the fuses and relays,, could be as simple as that...my friends car also sat around for a couple of months and didnt crank either .the fuel pump relay died. started right up with a new one.

good luck.

cardude007617
08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
i wouldnt leave the cables on for no 15mins....... put em on, crank it, either it wll start or not. try the relay tho...

nate2023
08-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Pull out your spark plugs and check and replace if they need be, then check the coil packs for any cracks. Does the starter just click when you turn the key, or sound like a machine gun. Could be that from sitting the starter solenoid is dead. change the oil is a must if its been sitting for so long. If it sat for that long you might need to get the gas tank pumped out it might be trying to run on watered down gas. Try these ideas. Does it afterfire into the exhaust or backfires through the upper intake Manifold?

EDIT: Ditto on Cardude's comment, leaving the booster cables on could ruin the electrical system in the car, if the cables are being boosted from another vehicle leaving them on too long can damage the working car's alternator.