strange shhhh sound,under hood,help. [Archive] - Forum

View Full Version : strange shhhh sound,under hood,help.

08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
hi, i have a 2003 GT,the car runs great, but there is a strange sound when i give a little gas.sort of like when to tell someone thats makin noise shhhhhh !!sounds like it could be the belt or i am thinkin a pulley.when it idles i hardly hear anything.then gas i hear the usual exhaust tone,and with the throttle ,even slightly a shhhh.its hard to gonna get it checked out, but i thought i would get any clues first,before i get anything done.the sound seems to come from the front passenger is not really really loud but noticeable.,

08-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Do you have a gatorback serpentine belt? If so, that could possibly be the culprit.

08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
not really sure ,im not good at these things,its like a dry sound like something needs oiling or something.

08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
maybe its a vacuum leak? one time i found a PCV tube was cracked and it made a sound like that

08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
i will probably get it checked out soon,its just an annoying little sound.thanks anyway,its kinda hard to could be that,then again i dont know too much about these things.i hope i dont get raped,sort of the repair shop.wish me luck !!i will update this when it is done,unless i have to sell an arm and leg to pay for it.

08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
actually guys, i think it could be comin from the exhaust system maybe. when i open my door and try to listen under my seat area,shhhhh sound as i call it,is slightly there,but with a little gas,the annoying noise is a bit louder.mind you it is not a really gross sound ,just a sound that shoulnt be there i believe.i had a 2004 SE -v6 before,and never made this wierd kinda sounds like the sound of air comin out of a tire, well,sort of.anybody think it could be exhaust related.i hope not.exhaust problems usually cost me between 300- 500 it is something else,its something thats really eating me up.!!

08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Take it to a shop and your gonna get raped, its the way of the shop gods.

Learn your car, screw the shop.

08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
You got teh l337 secretcharger.

08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
yeah,i will see what i can do, is probably nothing though,the car runs great anyway.thanks to everyone who took the time to help out.! secretcharger ?hmmm.maybe it is posessed???

08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
i've heard the same thing with the power steering pump. like the pump vibrations are resonating in the reservoir. lived with it for many years (97 Lumina). get a 5/8 inch hose and touch it on the suspicious noise area and hold the other end up to your ear. maybe you can isolate it better.

08-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Could easily be the belt tensioner or idler pullies.

08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
got it checked out the other day.they say its normal.the sound WAS from the pulley and belt may sound dumb,they looked at me like whats up ?its see ,i had a grand am 2004 before,it was an SE though,and never had any noise from that area.mind you it is not loud or anything,just a woosh or shhh or whatever .it may sound dumb but i cannot describe it to you guys from here.i just wish i could silence that out.they said it was a normal sound from the belt goin around the pulleys,so they made me feel kinda stupid.oh well,it is not a big deal i guess.there is nothing wrong with the car,runs well,thats all that matters i suppose.thanks everyone,soon i will be tinting my tails,i got a spare set hangin around,and 2 cans of vht nightshades and clear.yee haw,im going stealth !!:applause:

08-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Sounds like it could be a gatorback belt on there, or something that can make a similar noise. Glad to hear it's normal.

08-12-2007, 04:11 PM
hell yeah,im damn glad !!take care.