strange shhhh sound,under hood,help. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : strange shhhh sound,under hood,help.

gtdreams
08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
hi, i have a 2003 GT,the car runs great, but there is a strange sound when i give a little gas.sort of like when to tell someone thats makin noise shhhhhh !!sounds like it could be the belt or i am thinkin a pulley.when it idles i hardly hear anything.then gas i hear the usual exhaust tone,and with the throttle ,even slightly a shhhh.its hard to describe.im gonna get it checked out, but i thought i would get any clues first,before i get anything done.the sound seems to come from the front passenger side.it is not really really loud but noticeable.,

Panacea
08-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Do you have a gatorback serpentine belt? If so, that could possibly be the culprit.

gtdreams
08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
not really sure ,im not good at these things,its like a dry sound like something needs oiling or something.

AaronGAGT
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
maybe its a vacuum leak? one time i found a PCV tube was cracked and it made a sound like that

gtdreams
08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
i will probably get it checked out soon,its just an annoying little sound.thanks anyway,its kinda hard to describe.it could be that,then again i dont know too much about these things.i hope i dont get raped,sort of speak.by the repair shop.wish me luck !!i will update this when it is done,unless i have to sell an arm and leg to pay for it.

gtdreams
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
actually guys, i think it could be comin from the exhaust system maybe. when i open my door and try to listen under my seat area,shhhhh sound as i call it,is slightly there,but with a little gas,the annoying noise is a bit louder.mind you it is not a really gross sound ,just a sound that shoulnt be there i believe.i had a 2004 SE -v6 before,and never made this wierd sound.it kinda sounds like the sound of air comin out of a tire, well,sort of.anybody think it could be exhaust related.i hope not.exhaust problems usually cost me between 300- 500 bucks.help.unless it is something else,its something thats really eating me up.!!

coupe
08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Take it to a shop and your gonna get raped, its the way of the shop gods.

Learn your car, screw the shop.

SikMindz
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
You got teh l337 secretcharger.

gtdreams
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
yeah,i will see what i can do,thanks.it is probably nothing though,the car runs great anyway.thanks to everyone who took the time to help out.! secretcharger ?hmmm.maybe it is posessed???

torq455
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
i've heard the same thing with the power steering pump. like the pump vibrations are resonating in the reservoir. lived with it for many years (97 Lumina). get a 5/8 inch hose and touch it on the suspicious noise area and hold the other end up to your ear. maybe you can isolate it better.

Malaclypse
08-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Could easily be the belt tensioner or idler pullies.

gtdreams
08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
got it checked out the other day.they say its normal.the sound WAS from the pulley and belt area.it may sound dumb,they looked at me like whats up ?its ok.you see ,i had a grand am 2004 before,it was an SE though,and never had any noise from that area.mind you it is not loud or anything,just a woosh or shhh or whatever .it may sound dumb but i cannot describe it to you guys from here.i just wish i could silence that out.they said it was a normal sound from the belt goin around the pulleys,so they made me feel kinda stupid.oh well,it is not a big deal i guess.there is nothing wrong with the car,runs well,thats all that matters i suppose.thanks everyone,soon i will be tinting my tails,i got a spare set hangin around,and 2 cans of vht nightshades and clear.yee haw,im going stealth !!:applause:

Panacea
08-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Sounds like it could be a gatorback belt on there, or something that can make a similar noise. Glad to hear it's normal.

gtdreams
08-12-2007, 04:11 PM
hell yeah,im damn glad !!take care.