Had the injectors (fuel system) cleaned and I am thrilled. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Had the injectors (fuel system) cleaned and I am thrilled.

fo44rd
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Had the injectors (fuel system) cleaned on my 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT and I am thrilled. It has 20K on it and my mechanic said to runa can through it. It is the 3M fuel system cleaner that is in an arosol can that they hand upside down and tap into you fuel line with. Man I kid you not it is like 20 horsepower boost. I have my Grand AM there now to have it done. It works. At least it did for me. Just thought I would share. Anyone else had this kind of experience. I always thought F.I. and/or fuel system cleaning was a waste.

Malaclypse
08-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Of all the little services that my dealership offers, a fuel injectior flush and throttle body clean is the only one I will stand behind 100% every single time. Sure I make quite a bit of money off them, but there's a reason I'll do one on my vehicles every 15k miles.

Rich
08-04-2007, 01:37 AM
yeah my injectors must have been pretty messed up around 15k. i got that done and it was like a night and day difference.

Ajaxus
08-04-2007, 01:40 AM
i'll have to put this down on the list of things to do..any major change in mileage or are you mashin the gas pedal with that gained power? lol

Pinnacle
08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Ya I do this at my dealership ever oil change costs me nothing, its good stuff

Mike Jung
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Ya I do this at my dealership ever oil change costs me nothing, its good stuff
Before you have the oil change, right !?

If you had it done after you get the oil changed:
You are possibly dumping unburned (the cleaner that doesn't totally burn-up in the engine combustion) cleaner into your new/clean engine oil.

Rich
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
i'll have to put this down on the list of things to do..any major change in mileage or are you mashin the gas pedal with that gained power? lol

i didnt keep an eye on the MPG when i did it, but i wouldnt be surprised if there was a little improvement. if anything though, it just accelerates better and runs better.

Pinnacle
08-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Before you have the oil change, right !?

If you had it done after you get the oil changed:
You are possibly dumping unburned (the cleaner that doesn't totally burn-up in the engine combustion) cleaner into your new/clean engine oil.

Yup

fo44rd
08-04-2007, 11:31 PM
i didnt keep an eye on the MPG when i did it, but i wouldnt be surprised if there was a little improvement. if anything though, it just accelerates better and runs better.

Hell Yeah it does.

The_Wraith
08-13-2007, 06:31 AM
can you buy that fuel injector cleaner and do it yourself?

It's just a can that you screw into the the fuel rail, and pull the fuel pump fuse so it run's only off the can right? (I seen this along time agon on a tv show called shade tree mechanic)

fo44rd
08-13-2007, 11:20 AM
can you buy that fuel injector cleaner and do it yourself?

It's just a can that you screw into the the fuel rail, and pull the fuel pump fuse so it run's only off the can right? (I seen this along time agon on a tv show called shade tree mechanic)

yes THE 3M BRAND. It is the best stuff. But you will have to buy the atttacments hose from the bottle to the fuel rail.

GodsendGAGT
08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
just curious how much did they charge for it?

Pinnacle
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
yes THE 3M BRAND. It is the best stuff. But you will have to buy the atttacments hose from the bottle to the fuel rail.

Best? Im not sure about that, the one I have done is by BG its a massive steel bottle that they attach a pressurized hose to and can adjust depeding on the condition of the injectors

http://www.bgprod.com/products/images/9210LBC.jpg

The pre pressurized cans arent the best, the fluid can go through too quiclkly. With the BG system you can really slow it down and get those injectors really clean

Malaclypse
08-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I've always used my Wynn's flush kit. Don't have a picture or anything but its similar to the BG with a pressure regulator for added goodness. And yes that's the only effective way to do it.

fo44rd
08-15-2007, 12:03 AM
just curious how much did they charge for it?

I bought the can for like $15 at the auto parts store and I am buddies with the mechanic so he just kinda did it for nothing.

The_Wraith
08-15-2007, 08:35 AM

Where have you seen it for sale? would Advance auto parts or Autozone have that? I haven't notice anything like that... but I wasn't looking to hard for it either... and where can the hose be bought from?

Malaclypse
08-15-2007, 08:22 PM
GM Top engine cleaner costs ~$6 a can and performs 2 - 3 really good injection flushes.

If you're really friends with a mechanic he'll grab the shops injector flush kit and hook you up that way.

fo44rd
08-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Where have you seen it for sale? would Advance auto parts or Autozone have that? I haven't notice anything like that... but I wasn't looking to hard for it either... and where can the hose be bought from?

The kit is a little pricey...better have a wrench do it or flag down a snap-on/cornwell/mac tool truck when you see one driving by. I got mine an ac-delco/motorcarft distributor. Your better off checking a napa or higher level parts store.

08-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Will this also help with sputtering starts or rough idle?

Malaclypse
08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Will this also help with sputtering starts or rough idle?

Yes, it should.

NorKoastal
08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I Seafoam regularly and use only Chevrom Premium.. Is this necesary? Will I see any differences?