SES light & Codes: P1665, P0141, P0135, P1676 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES light & Codes: P1665, P0141, P0135, P1676

Mike Jung
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
So am having SES light & code problems since driving in a big rain storm in Chicago area July 19th.

If was only codes: P1665 & P1676 originally
Changed fuse 47 (which according to the manual the circuit powers the Canister Vent Valve & Exhaust Oxygen Sensors) in the engine block on Sat. July 21 & it went away.
(Thanks, Lab Rat.)
But the codes stopped showing pending (meaning still happening) before the fuse change (which I thought the fuse visually looked ok/kinda off).

Went through a car wash after getting home on July 25 & the codes came back.
Fuse 47 in the engine block is ok (according to my multimeter).

Went to check the codes again right now, & now also have the O2 sensor heater circuits not working.

Codes definitions:
P1665 = EVAP Vent Valve Solenoid Control Circuit
P0141 = O2 Heater Circuit (Sensor 2)
P0135 = O2 Heater Circuit (Sensor 1)
P1676 = EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control CKT

:wtf is up

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Am also guessing driving around with no functioning O2 sensors is bad for the Cat.
(I guess I will be driving my Mom's ride until my day-off to get my GA into a garage.)

Note: Noticed no noticable power or gas mileage loss with SES light on.

Mike Jung
08-11-2007, 11:07 PM
P0141 = O2 Heater Circuit (Sensor 2)
P0135 = O2 Heater Circuit (Sensor 1)

Am also guessing driving around with no functioning O2 sensors is bad for the Cat.
(I guess I will be driving my Mom's ride until my day-off to get my GA into a garage.)

Note: Noticed no power or gas mileage loss with SES light on.
So I was thinking that maybe my O2 sensors were working since my gas mileage has not taken a hit.

But the heater circuit to heat the O2 sensor up to operating temperature were not functioning.

Is this correct ?

So I chanced driving my GA to work (17 km / 10.6 miles each way)

Mike Jung
08-11-2007, 11:24 PM
So I changed the fuse in the engine bay, #47.
(Even though the 10-amp mini fuse pulled was fine.)

Drive to work & back on Tuesday, Aug 7.
The SES light was still on with the same codes; but the pending codes stop showing (meaning it wasn't causing the circuit problems anymore.)
Wed, Aug 8th morning: SES light turned off.
& hasn't been on since.

Side Note:
On Tuesday: my GA barely wanted to start/turn over the starter motor.
(& got progressively worse.)
(I didn't do this Tuesday night, because it start raining on the way home from work) Wednesday night: Checked the battery terminals & tightened.
Hooked my 12-amp-h automatic car battery charger up to it.
But the car battery wasn't taking a charge, for more than 2-minutes.
Test drove it afterwards: & the GA turned over normally a couple of times.
Figured the car battery capacity for amperage storage was shot/bad/gone.
Planned to change to a new car battery on the weekend, when I had more time.
Thursday morning: It barely wanted to start.
Driving to work, the voltage was running in the ok range (have a 3-LED monitor status that plugs into the cig. lighter socket).
Thursday night: It cranks over once (but does fire up) & dies.
Jump start myself (with a jumper battery pack in my trunk), it starts-up fine.
Noticed that my radio volume was focked up & going up & down; to a real low level.
Change to a new car battery.
Everything is fine now.
When I turned on my radio for the 1st time: The volume was set pretty high; & the bass in the rear is back :D
& my car seems faster now, it seems to rev through the rpm ranges faster/like it did before.

Why did my Optima Red Top battery have turn out defective & I used this back-up car battery (that I had in the basement) that was only used ok for 2-years (my old original Optima Red Top went into my Mom's car, & this was a recent battery pulled out of it. & I bought another Optima Red Top battery, which turned out to be defective.).
& I didn't want to pay a high price for a another Optima Red Top battery, since Costco stopped carrying them in Canada/or in my area Ontario.

So I think all of this heat, & my drive to Chicago (& back) with the AC on helped kill the car battery lol

I am guessing that the low car battery amperage was messing up my O2 sensor heater/EVAP circuit (?)

PS: My GA was running slower at Great Lakes Dragaway 1/4-mile track because of the bad car battery; & that is the story I am sticking to :p :o lol
(+ the case of bottle water & a loaded cooler, with a full tank of gasoline)

lone_wolf025
08-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Hmm. I've never heard of a bad batt causing the O2 heater to not work...

I don't think it was the drive that did you in though. The batt was already on its way out and highway miles are the best miles to put on a car.

Mike Jung
08-11-2007, 11:57 PM
...I don't think it was the drive that did you in though. The batt was already on its way out...Probably.
+ the sitting in the basement for a while unused, sure didn't help.
(I did charge it up, before installing into my GA last fall.)

Nor, all this heat recently.

lone_wolf025
08-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I would think an optima would be more reliable...how long did it sit?

Mike Jung
08-12-2007, 12:28 AM
I would think an optima would be more reliable...how long did it sit?
Yeah, it would be.
But a stock size 75 Kirkland (house brand) car battery at Costco is only $58 Cdn.
& Walmart wanted (IIRC, whe I looked last fall) for a Optima Red Top battery like $170 Cdn.
Other AGM type batteries (like: Orbit) were around $150 Cdn.
(Funny thing was, I was looking at a Optima Red Top battery at Costco in Glenview, IL; but I felt they were still too expensive.)

Maybe 1/2 a year.

Mike Jung
03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Sh*t, got these codes again this morning.

SES light came on just after cold starting the car.

Left my GA in the driveway yesterday; during the winter storm of freezing rain & snow.

Tuesday's night drive home:
I probably had the rear defrost on the whole time, wipers, all the lights on.
In stop & go traffic all the way home.

I am hoping they go away again by themselves (?); maybe after getting the car battery back up to a decent charged level.

;crap

Lab Rat
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
How you been Mike? I am so looking forward to spring. Last you posted sounds like you may make the trip back down to Antioch.
Anyway, get the alternator checked for 14.xx volts. May be it's failing to keep your battery charged. That's all I can think of now. GA's need a good amount of voltage or you will start seeing problems. Good luck.

stewartfn18
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
this is just a suggestion, but maybe there is a leak somewhere allowing moisture into the electrical system. like i said, its just a thought. as for the battery though, it cant be because i know i have a battery that the voltage drops way too low but everything still works fine. no codes or anything.

Mike Jung
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
How you been Mike? I am so looking forward to spring. Last you posted sounds like you may make the trip back down to Antioch.
Anyway, get the alternator checked for 14.xx volts. May be it's failing to keep your battery charged. That's all I can think of now. GA's need a good amount of voltage or you will start seeing problems. Good luck.
Been doing ok, Craig.
Except for blowing money $$$ on fixing the GA.
Last month had to change the ignition key cylinder; due the PassLock II system engaging.
& this month this.

Battery & voltage level are fine (this time).

I might (/want to) come down for the Antioch, IL meet on Aug 8-10, '08.

Mike Jung
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
So it ended up needing:

Changing of both O2 sensors.

Loose/bad intermittent electrical EVAP connector/wiring at fuse box under the hood.
Fuse was also blown because of the intermittent electrical contact.
I noticed also a new wire/connector near the firewall. behind the coil packs too (that wasn't on the bill).

Grandamgtblk99
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I know its an old thread, but I found it during searching and I'm sure someone else will some years down the road.

I was throwing a HO2S circuit code, and the two evap codes. I read about what you said about Fuse #47 being blown, and mine was. I put a new fuse in and first start up there is no more engine light.

Hopefully it solved my problem. I will go into work tomorrow and hook up to our obd reader and see if it pending or completely gone.

Just a FYI, its possible it didnt solve the evap codes being on, but it def did something for the o2. Because I turned the evap codes to non reporting with my tuner.

AaronGTR
12-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Holy crap! I saw this and for a second thought Mike was having trouble with the new G8! lol

lvemy3100
12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Holy crap! I saw this and for a second thought Mike was having trouble with the new G8! lol

x2 lol