Prestone Kit Flushing Thermostat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Prestone Kit Flushing Thermostat

sonicfrequency
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
So I followed Icemans instructions and all with the prestone kit and flushed my coolant after Ive had probs with the LIM. Question though. When I ran the car with the garden hose connected to the T, I turned the heat on high with the defroster on. Did the thermostat still get flushed? The directions only said to turn the heat on high. I figure the thermostat has to be open with the defroster on. I was just wondering. Thanks guys and gals!

sOnIc

Sprucegagt
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Did you let the engine get up to full operating temperature? The thermostat is temperature controlled by engine coolant. The fan or defroster being on has no effect on it.

Also as an FYI, you really don't have to turn the heat on in a 99+ GA when flushing the coolant. There are no valves in the heater lines that control coolant flow to the heater core.

sonicfrequency
08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I had another problem too. After unplugging the radiator and letting it drain out, after the flush with the garden hose. I was only able to put 1.25 gallons of coolant in. The GA is supposed to be able to hold 4 gallons. Im assuming theres water inside the block. I got a hydrometer and tested the coolant. Said its protected to -40f, all 5 balls floated hehe. Just wondering though why I could only put 1 and 1/4 gallons of coolant. Any help would be appreciated.

sOnIc

Sprucegagt
08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
You answered your own question. Water in the block. The coolant capacity rating is with the system completely empty.

GrandAmC9
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
is there a drain plug on the block to be able to empty all the water out after the flush?

jurgs2007
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
id say run the engine a min to drain the water and as soon as the water is pretty much gone start pouring antifreeze in. fill it up and let it run for a few mins and fill it again. then check it after the next time you drive it to make sure it is still full, for the system may not be completely circulated after only a couple mins.

that is how i would do it, but you may want to make sure that it is ok to do it that way before you start.

GrandAmC9
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
so thers no drain plug? thats kinda weird that theres no way to get all of the fluid out of the block, unless there is if anybody knows