Ok now a problem with the cruise... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ok now a problem with the cruise...

TFA
08-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I figured i would keep this seperate from my other post, as it is a different problem. I was coming home tonight and i hit the cruise on the highway. About 10 seconds after i turned it on, it turned itself off. WTF?! i was trying to cruise at 70-ish, like i do every day. My car just wasnt having it today. also i noticed when i turned the car on it was idling very very high (around 1500 i believe) and smelled like it was running really rich. something is getting close to being really wrong in my engine, between this problem and the decreasing gas mileage i feel like something important is gonna break mighty soon...

cardude007617
08-18-2007, 07:02 PM
hmmm my cruise cancelled itself once before. i had just gotton the car and had it checked over at MY dealer i trust and they found a vaccum leak. hasnt done it since.

sooo check for a vaccume leak i suppose. a 2003 shouldnt have many problems yet unless you have a lot of miles.

TFA
08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
46something miles. ill check the vacume hose tomorrow i guess

DumpsterDamon
08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
also i noticed when i turned the car on it was idling very very high (around 1500 i believe) and smelled like it was running really rich. something is getting close to being really wrong in my engine, between this problem and the decreasing gas mileage i feel like something important is gonna break mighty soon...
i hope your LIM isn't leaking already

TFA
08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
yeah..i hope not to. thankfully it will be covered under my super warrenty :boogie:
any way to tell for sure? what are the general signs that its a problem?

AaronGTR
08-19-2007, 06:47 AM
An LIM leak would not cause any of the problems you described.

High idle is usually (but not always) related to a problem with the throttle position sensor (TPS), idle air control motor (IAC), or mass air flow sensor (MAF), or like Paul said a possible vacuum leak. No idea on the cruise control. I've never had that happen or heard of it. Could be and electronic glitch of some kind. Make sure the harness is plugged into the cruise control motor firmly and maybe put some dielectric grease on the contacts to make sure.

BTW, this is the wrong section for these questions again. Way to go, you're 0 for 2 today.

TFA
08-19-2007, 11:37 AM
yeah..good call i didnt even notice. working back to back 18s will do that to a person. thanks for the info though

An LIM leak would not cause any of the problems you described.

High idle is usually (but not always) related to a problem with the throttle position sensor (TPS), idle air control motor (IAC), or mass air flow sensor (MAF), or like Paul said a possible vacuum leak. No idea on the cruise control. I've never had that happen or heard of it. Could be and electronic glitch of some kind. Make sure the harness is plugged into the cruise control motor firmly and maybe put some dielectric grease on the contacts to make sure.

BTW, this is the wrong section for these questions again. Way to go, you're 0 for 2 today.

GT_turbo
08-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a vacuum problem to me... my 2 cents.

lastyear4gt
08-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I had mine cut out a couple times when it was new. No codes set, couldn't find the problem, and hasn't happened since.