tranny problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems

stewartfn18
08-18-2007, 10:11 PM
i have a question that someone might be able to help me with. About 2 months ago i dropped the trans pan and did a flush. Not knowing that i didnt put enough fluid back into it, i went to the track and did a few runs. a few days later, it started to hesitate ALOT. Being on the tight budget that i am, i asked my very knowledgable friend and he told me that there wasnt enough fluid in the trans. I put three extra quarts in and it helped a little but it was still hesitating a little. I put something called trans honey in it(which probably wasnt the best of ideas) but it helped. Now my question is, taking a shot in the dark, could it have been that when i went racing low on fluid, the clutch plates got heated and glazed over or is it the gears that are slipping. i dont know if this matters but i have the mp racing tune which pressurizes the lines(obviously air cant be compessed) If anybody has any ideas that would be great.

fo44rd
08-18-2007, 10:21 PM
i have a question that someone might be able to help me with. About 2 months ago i dropped the trans pan and did a flush. Not knowing that i didnt put enough fluid back into it, i went to the track and did a few runs. a few days later, it started to hesitate ALOT. Being on the tight budget that i am, i asked my very knowledgable friend and he told me that there wasnt enough fluid in the trans. I put three extra quarts in and it helped a little but it was still hesitating a little. I put something called trans honey in it(which probably wasnt the best of ideas) but it helped. Now my question is, taking a shot in the dark, could it have been that when i went racing low on fluid, the clutch plates got heated and glazed over or is it the gears that are slipping. i dont know if this matters but i have the mp racing tune which pressurizes the lines(obviously air cant be compessed) If anybody has any ideas that would be great.

I think you diagnosed your own problem. Start saving for a remaned unit.

stewartfn18
08-18-2007, 10:29 PM
I think you diagnosed your own problem. Start saving for a remaned unit.
so is it the tranny or the clutch plates. if the clutch plates cant those just be replaced?

fo44rd
08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
so is it the tranny or the clutch plates. if the clutch plates cant those just be replaced?

Yeah but your basically tearing down the whole trannie at that point anyway. Your easily over half way to a complete rebuild at that point. And at the labor and price point why mess around with not having the whole thing done. Instead you try to shortcut it and it cost you a little less but if you still have the problem your out a lot of $$$$$$$.

Mike Jung
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Please Note for Future Readers (that use the search button):

You do not go adding ATF fluid without knowing at what level to stop, for the proper amount.
(The '99+ GA's do not have a dipstick. It comes from the factory a "sealed" system.)

Adding ATF fluid to a hydraulic pressurized system isn't the best idea.
Too much ATF fluid & you will over-pressurize the system; which isn't good!!!

It would be best to take to your mechanic/garage; unless you know what you are doing.

stewartfn18
08-19-2007, 04:29 PM
well its not doin it anymore so i think it was the whole clutch plat situation. thats the end of that.

AaronGTR
08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
well its not doin it anymore so i think it was the whole clutch plat situation. thats the end of that.

For now... don't just assume that the problem fixed itself. Gears don't slip. Clutches do... and the clutch plates in the 4T45E are notorious for slipping and getting burned up under hard use and/or elevated power levels. Running the trans on low fluid surely wouldn't help that. Always make sure you correctly fill and check the fluid level after service, and especially before running at the track. You might have just glazed the clutch plates, and they might come back a little, but not 100% and some damage will be done. Eventually they are going to go anyway.

If you start having problems in the future, you'd be best off getting it rebuilt with raybestos blue clutches, or if you don't want to go that route look for a low mile junk yard trans. GM does not offer a certified remanufactured 4T45E trans that I know of (at least last I checked).

Sprucegagt
08-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Please Note for Future Readers (that use the search button):

You do not go adding ATF fluid without knowing at what level to stop, for the proper amount.
(The '99+ GA's do not have a dipstick. It comes from the factory a "sealed" system.)

Adding ATF fluid to a hydraulic pressurized system isn't the best idea.
Too much ATF fluid & you will over-pressurize the system; which isn't good!!!

It would be best to take to your mechanic/garage; unless you know what you are doing.

Not entirely true. There are pressure release valves in the valve body that prevent overpressurization. Instead the problem with adding to much fluid is it foaming due to fluid being in continuous contact with the gears inside the transmission. Still if you don't know how to check the fluid level in this car, please take it to a respected mechanic/garage.

stewartfn18
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Not entirely true. There are pressure release valves in the valve body that prevent overpressurization. Instead the problem with adding to much fluid is it foaming due to fluid being in continuous contact with the gears inside the transmission. Still if you don't know how to check the fluid level in this car, please take it to a respected mechanic/garage.

just did that yesterday and the guy said that if it were the clutch plates, then they would never come back. am i alright to go up to a local track and make a few runs?

lvemy3100
08-21-2007, 08:00 AM
just did that yesterday and the guy said that if it were the clutch plates, then they would never come back. am i alright to go up to a local track and make a few runs?

I wouldnt suggest it...

fo44rd
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM

*iagree*

fo44rd
08-21-2007, 06:46 PM

Save for a trannie fund b4 you make anymore runs. Its not a matter of if, but when you will need a trannie. Especailly if you keep doing the "runs".

stewartfn18
08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
yea i want to hit the 14 second mark bad but i dont think its worth losing a transmission over right now. thanks for the help guys.

drumking1721
08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
im wondering if this is the issue with my car. I dropped the pan and changed the fluid/filter. No leaks,put the 7 quarts in the manual calls for. I put in royal purple atf. I emailed royal purple,they told me that the computer may have gotten use to my old fluid,which was completely shot,it was black,ive got pics. Anyways i reset the pcm and seeing if that will help. But mine seems to slip/surge in the second part of 3rd gear when you gun it....so idk?

stewartfn18
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
well mine doesnt necisarily slip when i get on it. Just when im lightly on the throttle around 1500 or so. but im gonna tell you like everyone has told me. I wouldnt race or do any kind of getting on the throttle going into higher rpms which is where yours is slipping at.

Sprucegagt
08-24-2007, 09:53 AM
im wondering if this is the issue with my car. I dropped the pan and changed the fluid/filter. No leaks,put the 7 quarts in the manual calls for. I put in royal purple atf. I emailed royal purple,they told me that the computer may have gotten use to my old fluid,which was completely shot,it was black,ive got pics. Anyways i reset the pcm and seeing if that will help. But mine seems to slip/surge in the second part of 3rd gear when you gun it....so idk?

If you reset the PCM, then your trans will be sluggish for awhile. It'll take about a week for it to shift correctly if you put the right amount of fluid back in.

Did you check the fluid level after adding fluid? Did you cycle through R-N-D after adding fluid? Also, never go by the manual as being an absolute number.

drumking1721
08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I just wanna say i spent $2000 on my tranny getting rebuilt today...and i feel ok about it....

stewartfn18
08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
did the place tell you what the problem was?

gobraves00
09-02-2007, 09:40 AM
2000, what kind of warranty comes with that?my dad help me with mine and parts cost me 400.

drumking1721
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
did the place tell you what the problem was?

uhh basically everything was fried in the tranny. Plates were shot,fluid was death black and seals were bad and a seleniod

fo44rd
09-02-2007, 11:27 PM
2000, what kind of warranty comes with that?my dad help me with mine and parts cost me 400.

has to be a junkyard trannie.

gectek
09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
gm does offer a rebuilt trans, its about 2800 though...and on any mechanical endeavor, dont jump in with both feet without either a safetly line on or at least a notion of what it takes to get it done.