Auto-Steering Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Steering Problems

Migs
08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey Folks, I am loving my '03GAGT so far but developed a problem this afternoon. Every time I turn the wheel from right to left or left to right the steering column always 'clicks' right when the wheels are staight. Also the horn honks once in awhile when this clickin occurs. Seems like something with the signal switch or something not too sure. Anyone else ever have this problem and if so any ideas what it would be. Thanks in advance!!!

AaronGTR
08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
There is a circle thing that clicks mounted inside the steering column behind the steering wheel. It's called the SIR coil and should be yellow and black. It connects the wires in the steering wheel and air bag to let them spin around independent of the steering column and it has a plug for the horn as well. If I recall the manual correctly it is also a steering wheel position sensor for cars with the variable effort steering. Anyway it's the only thing I can think of that might be causing that. Maybe something broke on it. Only way to check though is to pull the steering column covers and steering wheel off.