Chugging and Shutdown [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Chugging and Shutdown

GT_turbo
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
I was driving my car this weekend and everything was completely fine. I was cruising on the interstate at 75mph for an hour and I stopped for a toll booth. When I accelerated It started chugging and my A/F gauge read lean. It does it in any gear, you cant get on the gas and accelerate fast because it cuts out. When I was cruising once all the sudden it shut down on me. I pulled off let it sit for 30 sec. and it started right back up and I drove it another hour home, but it still chugged. Any suggestions. I do have a turbo but the problem occurs before I get close to boost. It can happend at 10 psi of vac...

Thanks a Bunch...

AaronGTR
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
It's hard to say without seeing/hearing the problem. It could still be related to the turbo though, and most probably is since it's newly installed. Even at 10 in/Hg of vacuum the motor is still running and the exhaust is still spinning the turbine. Before you get into boost the wastegate would be closed so all the exhaust gas is forced past the turbine, and if there is a problem with the turbine it can cause back pressure and make the engine surge or stall. My first guess would be a problem with the bearings causing the turbine to want to seize, possibly caused be an oil supply problem. What kind of oil lines are you using for the turbo? Any oil restrictors and what size? Where are the feed and return lines going? Did you prime the oil to get it thru the turbo before you started the engine with the turbo installed the first time? What kind of oil pressure are you running now? All this stuff needs to be addressed with a new turbo install before you drive it.

GT_turbo
08-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Wierd, I started it up today and started friving it and it ran totally fine. Very good power and no chugging. All the sudden I blew a radiator hose off...

I am going to get a new fuel filter for it just to make sure its not that.

AaronGTR
08-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Make sure the water pump is turning freely maybe?

GT_turbo
08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Radiator hose was just a bad connection with the hose clamp. I got a new fuel filter and it made a world of difference. I cut the old one open and it was caked with like grease like stuff. Pretty nasty, but she runs like a champ now.

drumking1721
08-22-2007, 10:34 PM
mine did that when one of my plug wires was shorting

drumking1721
08-22-2007, 10:35 PM
i dont have a turbo or anything,but i had the SAME exact problem during the winter