idle problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : idle problems

jnugg69
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a 2000 grand am gt. I love the car and bought it used. The problem is that lately, a lot of times I start up the car, it idles pretty high. Higher than a normal cold engine idle(upwards of 1500 rpm or so). I sit at a stop light with my brakes on and it's trying to still drive. Then, not in any consistent time, it'll drop back down to normal. But it doesn't do it every time I start the car. My service engine soon light is on also. It's probably a sensor of some sort but I don't know which one. I just recently had the tps changed a month ago or so and it didn't cure the problem. One other thing, I replaced my blower motor resistor not too long ago because none of my heat settings would work. It fixed it, and it works on 1,2,3, and 4 but not 5(max). Is this maybe a blower motor relay problem..
Thanks a lot for anyone who might help me.

drumking1721
08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
MAF or clean your throttle body

jnugg69
08-23-2007, 06:15 PM
The throttle body was already cleaned supposedly when they changed my tps, but it didn't cure the problem. Is it easy to get to my mass air flow sensor? And can I try to clean it myself? And what about the idle air conrol sensor? Is that easy to get to and clean also? Thanks...

WeibSunder
08-23-2007, 07:45 PM
The MAF is very easy to get to, it's what your air intake tubing attach's to. All you have to do is take it out and use a Q-tip and some de-greaser to clean it. When I installed my WAI, I used a Q-tip and some grease lightening and got it all nice and clean. GL with the fix...hope I help you out a little.

stewartfn18
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
yea, brake cleaner works well too.

jnugg69
08-27-2007, 06:45 PM
The maf was clear when I checked it, but me and my buddy saw a crack in my pcv boot that connects to the engine. I sealed it and maybe that'll help my problem out a little. He said it could also be my egr.

silvercoupe
08-28-2007, 08:55 AM
if you had a crack, you probably had a vac leak. did the car shake a bit too? try to replace that hose.

jnugg69
08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Well now the service engine soon light is back on and it surges up and down when I'm sitting in park. It almost acts like it is gonna stall and then goes back up again. I'm not sure if that could be the alternator or another sensor of some kind.

Sprucegagt
08-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Get The Code Read Before Doing Anything Else.

jnugg69
09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I cleaned my Idle air control valve well, but I didn't clean the idle passages. They look a little tougher to get into. Is it easy to clean the idle passages or not. Thanks

brim
09-08-2007, 12:01 AM
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The problem is that lately, a lot of times I start up the car, it idles pretty high.

Is this maybe a blower motor relay problem..
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

awesome lol, look into a vacuum leak, but first get the ****in code scanned right?

jnugg69
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I got the code read by my mechanic and it's coming up the same as it did before my tps was replaced. Low voltage indicator. That new tps didn't seem to take care of the problem. I wonder if it could be loose terminal wires from the sensor or something of that nature, because it doesn't do it everytime I start the car. Only sometimes. The car doesn't shake or anything when it's happening. It drives fine except for harder to stay stopped with the higher idle. The idle will hang around 1100 rpm, but once I put in park, it'll jump up to 1500 to 1800 and sit there. It's always higher in park.

pacho
09-11-2007, 10:59 PM

pacho
09-11-2007, 11:00 PM

brim
09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
rule out any vacuum leaks, make sure no throttle linkage to the TB is sticking, that the plate is not gummed up....

then I'd look at possibility of the IAC gone wild, and retest the TPS with multimeter to make sure it's within the voltage range.

MIAaron
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Mine started doing this two days ago as well. Anyone get it figured out yet?

Edit:
From searching around it appears it is probably the TPS.

TFA
09-19-2007, 03:54 PM
my car is having the same problem with Idling high, however it is only the first time i turn my car on. IE i start the car when i go to work, stop at wawa, then turn the car on again at wawa and it is fine....

MIAaron
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
If my car is idling high I will turn it off and back on at the first red light. Sometimes it fixes it and and sometimes it doesn't.

jnugg69
09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Mine sounds just like Miaaron's. Sometimes shutting off and restarting will fix it and other times it will not. I just had my tps changed and throttle bore cleaned so that' s not the problem. I'm starting to wonder if it is the temperature sensor getting all whacked out and reading colder than what it actually is sometimes, therefore causing the idle to rise up. Still haven't quite got the answer yet though. It can be so many things.

Sprucegagt
09-19-2007, 11:35 PM
After you had the TPS replaced. Did the garage erase any stored DTC's in the PCM? These won't cause an SES light but will cause a high idle if the codes are for a low or intermittent TPS signal. I'm speaking from experience on this cause I just had the same problem.

Lab Rat
09-20-2007, 06:26 AM
I checked the vacuum lines that are connected to the TB. Both cracked and leaking, but not much. Anyway, I replaced 1 rubber plug and another small vac line. Car has never idled better. It used to jump from a very high idle to very low and sometimes would stall. Not anymore. :D For me a very simple fix. Hope this helps some of you guys.

MIAaron
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
As expected I replaced the TPS and everything is back to normal.

timberwoof
12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
My car is starting to have this problem now. It idles at 2000 RPM and the Temp went up to 3/4.

I'm taking it this is a common occurance with these cars. I'll try the TPS and Temp sensor first and see if it helps.