Fuel Filter on 99 GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter on 99 GT

mjtr21
08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Okay I checked the threads and none of them showed or explained how to remove the black clip end of the fuel filter. I got the nut side of it off okay but I am stuck with trying to remove the other side. I think they call it a QuickDisconnect or something but it sure isn't quick for me. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect it without that little tool? The clip is black and it used to have 4 "fins" but they broke off. Okay I am going to try and post a picture attachment. 25411

silvercoupe
08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
i think those tabs are the ones that need to be squeezed in order to remove the filter. put a thin flat screwdriver to it and try to nudge it. either way,, its plastic, and if the new filter came with a new plastic,, id say just be careful and yank it off.
and im pretty sure its "quickconnect" not 'quick disconnect" lol .. which explains your issues..

and also, post 2000, its a different filter connection, so dont look at removal instructions for 2001+ cars.

good luck.

drumking1721
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
You just puch in the two tabs and pull out. Its actually quite easy

mjtr21
08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
no its actually not that easy. i have the original fuel filter on my car and it has a black connector on one side and bolt on the other side. drumking1721 you probly have a newer filter but mine is the original one. i will try the screwdriver but how would i do it? which way would i slide the filter and which way would i push the connector? any help please? i dont think that disconnect tool would work because i broke the four tabs on the connector.

drumking1721
08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
oh wow you didnt say that....when i did mine it unscrewed from the drrivers side and the clips were on the passenger side...idk sorry dude

homeslice7007
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
any success in getting that black piece off? If so, what did you do?

nate2023
09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
mine is like that picture at the top, no tabs sticking out or anything, i looked at it, though for a minute, and gave up. That was 3 months ago.

nickofcourse
09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
im not trying to hijack a thread but i have an 04 grand am gt, when you jack the car up what part of the car lowers onto the jack stands?

i jacked it up and i see a thin piece of metal, then a thin piece of metal that connects to my rear tires. basically their is not a solid rear axel so i dont know where i should lower the car down onto the jack stands.\

Sprucegagt
09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Amazing what you can find using the search feature. Next time don't be lazy or I won't be so helpful.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14832&highlight=jack+points

nickofcourse
09-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Amazing what you can find using the search feature. Next time don't be lazy or I won't be so helpful.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14832&highlight=jack+points

im sorry when i was searching i would search for jack stands and all that.
thank you, im sorry iill search better next time.

GrandAmC9
01-18-2008, 04:29 AM
my fuel filters stuck on the other side, i got the quick release off but the threads seem to be rusted or corroded, i tried liquid wrench and wrenches bu no luck... any ideas

stillriza
01-18-2008, 06:20 AM
If your having tons of problems, any quick lube place will get the filter off for around $10-15 bux for you. If you have your own filter, then ask them to instal that.

Lab Rat
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
PB Blaster is good stuff. Should break the rust. And get a line wrench (flare wrench, I'm not sure what it's called). It WILL save you from wrecking the fitting on the line. Good luck.

614GT95GA
01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
GrandAmC9.........i got the same problem on my 95 GT....i been dyin to figure out how to get the bolt side un-done, the quik release/quik connect side comes off quikly and easily....the other side has been soaked with liquid wrench, wd40....etc, no dice. I need to change it,considerin it hasnt been changed in 13 years....its about that time, but i cant get it off.....anyone got any iideas......????? my car isnt running right now (getting new fuel pump-thought it would be good to replace the filter while i was down there) so i cant take it no where and have them take it off for me, and i dont want to mess up the hard line coming out of it.....

nate2023
01-19-2008, 09:35 PM
I found out doing mine with no tabs sticking out, you need a special tool to seperate the clip on the inside. BUT, theres not enough room to get the tool in there. I unscrewed the filter on one side then sawed off the stalk on the other side of the filter. That gave me enought room to put the seperator in. The new filter came with the kind that the tabs stick out. The guy at autozone told me to just cut the lines and clamp on a universal one, yea piss on that.

GrandAmC9
01-19-2008, 09:49 PM
GrandAmC9.........i got the same problem on my 95 GT....i been dyin to figure out how to get the bolt side un-done, the quik release/quik connect side comes off quikly and easily....the other side has been soaked with liquid wrench, wd40....etc, no dice. I need to change it,considerin it hasnt been changed in 13 years....its about that time, but i cant get it off.....anyone got any iideas......????? my car isnt running right now (getting new fuel pump-thought it would be good to replace the filter while i was down there) so i cant take it no where and have them take it off for me, and i dont want to mess up the hard line coming out of it.....

i got mine off using vice grips on the filter nut part and had a freind hold it while i used a line wrench on fuel line part and it finally broke free...
just be careful not to strip the nut on the fuel line

614GT95GA
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
kool man, ill have to give it a shot. Thanx alot dude