HELP! Interior Paint Gurus [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Interior Paint Gurus

Grreen99GT
08-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I was repainting some interior pieces that looked like they needed to be touched up and they are not coming out well at all. They look like they have a flat finish and when i tried to sand it down to redo it again, it looked like I have to much paint on the piece. What the hell should i do??????

Sleepwalkr
08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
My suggestion is to get some paint stripper, get everything off, and start over.

Grreen99GT
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
would paint stripper damage the plastic?

Rosado
08-25-2007, 03:43 PM
YES paint stripper will damage the plastic beyond repair. DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!

First off we all need to know what type of paint you are using.
One thing to keep in mind, if it is humid out side the paint will do what you call a blush affect. It will either dry dull or have a milky look to it.

Now what I suggest to do is sand it all down again. This time your going to sand for a bit. Using 400 grit paper with water then finishing with 600 grit paper with water. Dry the parts really good.
Grap some alcohol and wipe the parts down. YES rubbing alcohol will do just fine.
What this does is, it takes the static away from the plastic part. Static atracts dust which is a no no in any paint world.
Now when you paint your parts dont try to paint it in one shot. Meduim wet coats will work best. Let the paint dry in between coats. Then keep going untill you like it.
Now like I said above, what paint are you using?
either way the above aplys to all.

Grreen99GT
08-25-2007, 07:34 PM
i am using krylon fusion paint for plastics, and it is beyond repair for the most part. i am going to need new pieces.

Ajaxus
08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
go to the junkyard, my dog ate my bro's interior pieces (he left them in the garage after painting) and we got all the pieces dirt cheap at a junkyard.

Pinnacle
08-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Thats what I used on the pieces I painted, I just washed the pieces really well(did NOT sand em) and spray painted them with Krylon fusion, it looks amazing and the its scratch proof(well almost)

gobraves00
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
prep is so important, that krylon paint is awesome. the weather has got to be perfect so the humididty dont kill it, best to doit when it is hot as hell.i did all my pieces in direct sunlight.learn from you mistakes and start over.if it takes you doing a bunch of small sprays it will be worth it in the end. if you overspary and see the paint running, quickly wipe off and clean piece and repaint once dry.good luck