Gauge cluster is dead, can anyone help identify the problem? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster is dead, can anyone help identify the problem?

awfulwaffle
08-25-2007, 10:56 PM
The car is a 2000 Olds Alero GLS. The problem is that a few days ago the entire gauge cluster went dead. The backlight is still working, but the oil temp gauge, the speedometer, the tach, and the fuel gauge are not working. Also, the gear selection lights are not working, and neither is the odometer. I'm thinking that its either a pcm problem or one of the wires going to the gauges has come loose. Any suggestions/input?

thanks in advance

tallcoolone001
08-29-2007, 09:35 AM
i have a 2000 alero with the exact same problem that i am trying to diagnose. the only thing that is working in the cluster is the back lights and the service engine soon light. if you figure out what the problem is let me know, and i will do the same. thanks kris

stewartfn18
08-29-2007, 09:48 AM
The car is a 2000 Olds Alero GLS. The problem is that a few days ago the entire gauge cluster went dead. The backlight is still working, but the oil temp gauge, the speedometer, the tach, and the fuel gauge are not working. Also, the gear selection lights are not working, and neither is the odometer. I'm thinking that its either a pcm problem or one of the wires going to the gauges has come loose. Any suggestions/input?

thanks in advance

Thats a pretty good assumption that it is the pcm or a loose wire. it has to be something electrical.

tallcoolone001
08-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Just To Let You Know I Have Been Reserching This All Morning. Had A Guy Tell Me To Check My Fuses In The Dash Both On The Left And Right Side For Corrosion. As I Was Pulling The Fuses And Relays On The Drivers Side I Noticed The Cluster Flicker On And Off. Turned Out To Be A Broken Wire On The Back Side Of The Fuse Block. Repaired That And All Is Good. Let Me Know If That Works For You.