Poor power between 3-6k [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Poor power between 3-6k

1995_ga_gt
08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
1995 Grand Am GT v6 3.1 with 140k and 90k on the motor.

The power is absolutely pathetic between 3k-6k and it shutters a bit. I normally don't drive at that high of rmps anyways but i tried the other day to see if she still had something in her and obviously it's quite the dog today lol.

I have new plugs and wires. Filter is new and clean. Someone mentioned it could be the coil module and I already swapped that last summer. So does anyone know what it could be I would appreciate some advice from any of you knowledgeable people out there.

Someone said swapping this or d/c the egr valve might work. If I d/c the valve and it has power he said that's probably my problem. What do you guys think? And where is this valve if I wanted to try to d/c it.
http://www.allworldauto.com/store/products/AC_Delco_Exhaust_Gas_Recirculation_Valve_EGR_Valve-1-50001.html

Thx guys, I'd appreciate some feedback.

cardude007617
08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
this is going to be a completely noobish uneducated answer but perhaps its due to the fact the car is indeed 12-13 years old now so maybe its just "had it" and won't respond the way it once did.
--just a thought-clogged cat? i mean it does have 140 thou on it now.

1995_ga_gt
08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
this is going to be a completely noobish uneducated answer but perhaps its due to the fact the car is indeed 12-13 years old now so maybe its just "had it" and won't respond the way it once did.
--just a thought-clogged cat? i mean it does have 140 thou on it now.

only 90k on the engine...and if you think that...well the weakness had to start somewhere and i just don't know where. it can't be that the engine is just old and needs replaced. my camaro has 10k more miles than my grand am and runs just as strong as the day it was new.

cardude007617
08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
how many miles on the transmission? when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? any idea if the cat is original?

1995_ga_gt
08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
tranny is still stock, the cat is a possibility, took a look under there the other day...rusted solid...i'd say it's definitely a possibility and i guess it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter, i just doubt its that

1995_ga_gt
08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
does anyone know about this egr valve someone thought it could be?

cardude007617
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
yeah id check the cat; i guess you can have it tested by having a shop drill a hole in it and if the rpm's change it's clogged a bit. then they solder on a piece of scrap metal to cover the hole again.

yeah my car has 90 thou and im changing the fuel filter next maintence. id look into them both.

again im not a mechanic and these are shot in the dark ideas....

1995_ga_gt
08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
yeah id check the cat; i guess you can have it tested by having a shop drill a hole in it and if the rpm's change it's clogged a bit. then they solder on a piece of scrap metal to cover the hole again.

yeah my car has 90 thou and im changing the fuel filter next maintence. id look into them both.

again im not a mechanic and these are shot in the dark ideas....

its worth a shot, hell i should just cut the pipe off just before the cat..we don't have emission laws...up the horse power and top end a bit

cardude007617
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
or just get a magnaflow high flo cat; its only worth like 1-2hp for no cat anyways

tomh
08-29-2007, 05:43 AM
you didnt buy CHEAP plug/wires did you? i have seen all kinds of power lost by crap plugs/wires.

as far as the EGR goes.. you should be able to unplug it and take it for a short run to see if it is any different.

AaronGTR
08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
EGR won't cause power loss and shudders. It sounds like a clogged cat to me. Either that or any ignition problem (but then you'd probably be getting a check engine light if it was that bad).

soulimports
08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
what kind of plugs did u put in??? if they are bosch then you might want to start there. go with ac delco which are basically ngk's

cardude007617
08-29-2007, 11:43 PM
how long do cats usually last? 80 thou? 90 thou? 150 thou?

nickofcourse
09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
how long do cats usually last? 80 thou? 90 thou? 150 thou?

they claim they last a life time but it all depends on how the engine is kept. i believe you cna ruin a cat very qucikly if your engine runs to rich which would foul the cat with unburnt fuel.

Blackrider
09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Clogged cat for sure, I had the exact same problem with my Grand Am, At the worst it wouldn't hit 80KPH.

1995_ga_gt
03-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Figured I'd put an update on here. Turns out it was a "TSP". I forget what exactly that stood for. Transmission switch or something. My mechanic also noticed a leak in the radiator that I wouldn't be able to patch up.....cost a pretty penny to go to the mechanic this time.

I was troubleshooting the problem at the parents house and when I went to start it....it wouldn't so it needed a new ignition and all these other problems occurred at the same time. That was about a month ago...no worries now!