Starter Solenoid Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid Problems

juanvan
08-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Background - its on a 3.4, this will be the 3rd starter we are putting in this car.

The solenoid keep burning up, there is a constant 12 coming to the top of the starter, but I know that is to be there. But after 3 months it will have a dead spots, and won't turn over and just clicks.

Its also strange that after letting the car cool after lunch, the Solenoid on the starter is HOT everything else is cool manifolds, engine - I did not take a read on it but its hot!

intmd8r
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I do not know for sure where the starter solenoid is in relation to the ignition lock, but a co-worker had spent over $900+ replacing ignition lock multiple times over the past year on his '01 Alero (ECOTECH). As it turns out, his technician found out that the wires relating to the Passlock and diodes to the ignition cylinder were not the proper guage of wiring from the facotry, and this is why he kept on burning up the ignition cylinder. Perhaps this is similar to what you are going through now?

Pinnacle
08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I do not know for sure where the starter solenoid is in relation to the ignition lock, but a co-worker had spent over $900+ replacing ignition lock multiple times over the past year on his '01 Alero (ECOTECH). As it turns out, his technician found out that the wires relating to the Passlock and diodes to the ignition cylinder were not the proper guage of wiring from the facotry, and this is why he kept on burning up the ignition cylinder. Perhaps this is similar to what you are going through now?

I hope that was a factory worker that ****ed up when he was putting them in and NOT GM!

Malaclypse
08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
First off.. where are you getting the starters? Are they Delco or other? Do you have any oil leaks that'd be dripping on the starter?

Other than that I'd question the ignition switch keeping the starter solenoid partially energized all the time.

juanvan
08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
They are Rebuilds American something, but 3 starts all doing the same thing, after 4 months thats kinda strange. The oil is fine, the engine was replaced about 3 years ago, so there is no leaks.

I was thinking it was the pass-lock on it, though this car has the chip in the key, its not a GA, but an olds.

Thats screwed up what happened to your friend, if that was from the factory like that GM should fix it for him and repay him all that!
I was thinking it could be a lose wire or connection somewhere, but we look for all the looms and did not see anything out of place.

Is there suppose to ba a constraint 12V at the starter? If not then I would guess that to be the problem.