Passlock Bypass - just making sure [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock Bypass - just making sure

IanGT99
08-28-2007, 03:04 PM
So my car's Passlock has been acting up for over three years now and I'm sick of it. It will do it once every few months or sometimes a few times a week, then go away for a while. It always seems to happen when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. I would just do the Passlock relearn and it would be ok for a while.

I've done the search for the Passlock Bypass and found everything from replacing the very expensive ignition cylinder to adding in a resistor between the yellow and black ignition wires to just snipping the yellow wire and leaving it like that.

My question is, the easiest way I've found is the snipping of the yellow wire and I needed to know if this is A) safe and B) effective. I don't mind the security light being on constantly if cutting the yellow wire will stop my car from not starting. If not, I am pretty savvy at splicing and soldering. Insight please!!!!

intmd8r
08-28-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, and have posted similar questions, without any answers other that "repair it". A co-worker of mine has spent $900+ from replacing/repairing the ignition lock cylinder on his Alero multiple times over the past year, and I do not want to go through the same thing. From the research that I've done, guys are saying, "it is reliabel and effective. I cut that wire a wek ago with no problems..". That's great and all, but I want to know LONG TERM EFFECTS.

andrewe77
08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I bought a new cylinder off of eBay and took it to a locksmith to get it coded for my keys. Total cost to me was around $45 and the Passlock is now permanently disabled. The security light is always on but it's a small price to pay for having my car start every time.

andrewe77
08-28-2007, 07:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-GM-Ignition-Cylinder-lock-Chevy-Pontiac-Oldsmobile_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33691QQihZ00 5QQitemZ150070700990QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Well, here's a $95 cylinder + locksmith fee to fix your problem.

GMMike
08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
I might buy that because the "waiting for 10 minutes for the car to start" thing is getting on my nerves already.

Dave Carney
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Just make sure the car is running when you cut the yellow wire, then you'll be ok, and you won't have any more troubles with it. Put a piece of blac tape over the security light on the instrument panel which will be on for evermore.

timberwoof
08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Does anybody have any pictures of where this "yellow" wire is located? I want to be sure its the right one to cut.

intmd8r
08-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Just make sure the car is running when you cut the yellow wire, then you'll be ok, and you won't have any more troubles with it. Put a piece of blac tape over the security light on the instrument panel which will be on for evermore.

The real question that isn't being answered by the "Search" button is Have YOU tried this, and has it/how long has it worked for you? Can and does this create potential problems elsewhere in the car's electrical system?

drakesrevenge
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
the easiest thing to do is go to a place where they install remote starters. they can bypass the passlock for you. i did mine last october and not had a problem since. i paid $65 dollars and didn't have to worry about messing it up myself. i've spoken to people that have replaced their ignition cylinders, only to have the same thing happen eventually. pontiac knows the problem exists, but refuses to do anything about it. (believe me, i've spoken with them!)

timka86
08-29-2007, 12:58 PM
If you find the thread on Passlock bypass, it tells you exactly what to do, where to cut, and how to do it by yourself. I did it following the thread, and it worked, haven't had a problem since, never have the security light on. there's a lot of fat wires going to the ignition cylinder, and I believe three thin wires to the passlock unit, black, white and yellow. No way you can get them wrong.

FYI, if you do the bypass, the theftlock feature wont work, so you will be able to start your car without a key. As in HOT-WIRING it is possible.

Dave Carney
08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
The real question that isn't being answered by the "Search" button is Have YOU tried this, and has it/how long has it worked for you? Can and does this create potential problems elsewhere in the car's electrical system?

lol...how do you even work up the courage to leave your home? You worry too much.

Lets' see how clear I can make this for you.

YES I HAVE TRIED IT.

YES IT WORKS.

SINCE THE WIRES DON'T PUT THEMSELVES BACK TOGETHER, IT WORKS PERMANENTLY. CUT MINE 4 MONTHS AGO. IS THAT LONG ENOUGH?

CAN YOU CREATE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS ELSEWHERE? YES, I'M SURE THAT YOU CAN MESS THIS UP, LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT FOR YOU. MOST ANYONE WILL DO. :)

IanGT99
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok, well I'm going to take out my head unit, get back there and snip the yellow wire. If I see any problems, I'll know I need to splice in a resistor down the road. The car acted up twice today, which hardly ever happens, so I'm at wits end with Passlock.

timka86
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok, well I'm going to take out my head unit, get back there and snip the yellow wire. If I see any problems, I'll know I need to splice in a resistor down the road. The car acted up twice today, which hardly ever happens, so I'm at wits end with Passlock.

if you just cut the wire, you will have problems, you need to add the resistor right away. if you just cut the wire, it will never see a key, and you probably wont start it until you add the resistor, and if you start it, then for just a minute.

IanGT99
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM
if you just cut the wire, you will have problems, you need to add the resistor right away. if you just cut the wire, it will never see a key, and you probably wont start it until you add the resistor, and if you start it, then for just a minute.

Why are all these guys saying they have just cut the wire, not put in the resistor, and have had no problems, then?

timka86
08-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Why are all these guys saying they have just cut the wire, not put in the resistor, and have had no problems, then?

idk, i know that that wire has to see resistence in order to think there's a key there. otherwise it shuts your fuel pump off.

cut it, if it runs, leave it, if it doesn't, then you know what you have to do: either connect it back together, or add a resistor. read the passlock bypass thread.

Love my GT
09-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I guess I got lucky with mine. Just when I was starting to get fed up with having to wait 10 min. to start my car the passlock feature apparently took a crap. My security light is on all the time now, but I hardly ever notice it and my car always starts.

WeibSunder
09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I took out my radio, cut the yellow wire, and installed a toggle switch. I have the switch hid in a spot in my car, so when I get out, I flip it on, when i get in my car, I flip the switch off. Problem solved.

GMMike
09-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I guess I got lucky with mine. Just when I was starting to get fed up with having to wait 10 min. to start my car the passlock feature apparently took a crap. My security light is on all the time now, but I hardly ever notice it and my car always starts.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. My security light stayed on for a good while one time and I thought maybe I didn't have to worry about it anymore than. Then one day it didn't start one day and I notice the light start blinking. So far the light has been off now.

IanGT99
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I took out my radio, cut the yellow wire, and installed a toggle switch. I have the switch hid in a spot in my car, so when I get out, I flip it on, when i get in my car, I flip the switch off. Problem solved.

That's a really good idea. However, I live in a VERY quiet area. There isn't any theft going on around here (knock on wood), so if someone wants to break into my car to steal it after I've locked it up, they obviously want it more than I do. I think I'm just going to snip the wire. Thanks for all you guys' help and keep the advice coming if you have any more...

IanGT99
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I cut the yellow wire tonight. So far, so good. (knock on wood) No problems starting at all. Even if the car does stall, I just crank it again and it starts right up. No interference from Passlock. I put a piece of black tape over the Security light and it's as good as new. Plus it gave me the chance to put in a new head unit casing and Aux Input wire I've been meaning to install. Killed two birds with one stone... I'll report back if I notice anything wrong from here on...

coupe
09-05-2007, 05:19 AM

Ditto

thormxkid
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
does the car have to be running when you cut the wire?

IanGT99
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
does the car have to be running when you cut the wire?

YES YES YES!!! From my understanding, there would be many problems with it if you snipped the wire with the car off. Just get it to start once, snip the yellow wire behind the ignition cylinder, and put some tape over the security light. I snipped my wire a year and a half ago and still have no problems. Starts every time.