1999 Grand Am SE Transmission. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Grand Am SE Transmission.

Sebgonz
09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Recently I've been having issues with my transmission leaking. It was a slow leak, and I've had a friend who works for a dealership watching it and taking care of maintenance on it when it gets low.
Now... fast forward to today. I get in my car, turn it on and put it in reverse. Then I hear a loud and hard BANG sound that shook my steering wheel. I assume it's the transmission, since when you press the gas, it continues to jerk you back and forth as it goes. And sometimes, it doesn't even move.
Here's my question. The car has 100K miles on it and other than the transmission, I haven't had any problems with it. Other than simple things. Should I just try and find a replacement transmission, or should I say "To hell with it" and get a new car? If any of you have had this same issue with your car, I would appreciate any responses you can give.

Thanks.

BTarb24
09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
If I were you i'd call around to junk yards and find out how much a transmission will be. I wouldn't think it'd be much more than 200 bucks. Why junk a perfectly good car due to one bad part?