View Full Version : Anybody rebuilt a CV joint before?
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Have any of you guys ever rebuilt the inner CV joints? The later style ones with 6 balls, not the tri-pot kind. One of my team members took one apart and is having a hard time getting it back together properly, I haven't been able to find a "how-to" anywhere on the net for these CV joints other than pulling the axle out and replacing it. He fully disassembled it, and it seems there's some trick to getting things back together.
Anybody have any tips, experience, reference material, etc? Thanks!
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
from a haynes:
1. with the race and cage tilted at 90-degrees , lower the assembly into the housing.
2. rotate the assembly into place by gently tapping with a hammer and brass punch pin.
3. tip the cage to an angle and press the balls into the cage windows (on the side of the ball cage), repeating until all of the balls are installed.
4. use needle-nose pliers to lower a new snap ring into the groove(in the center).
5. seat the snap ring into the groove with snap-ring pliers.
sorry, i dont have a scanner, but here are some digital pics of what you need to do.
09-08-2007, 03:27 PM
It turns out, the parts got mixed up when they were disassembled. Thanks for the tips guys.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.