Does anybody know who this is?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know who this is??

1fastgt
09-08-2007, 07:05 PM
does anybody have any info on a Raymond Griffiths he emailed me about some parts i have for sale and was asking alot of question about who i am and all? and im jus trying to get some info so i dont get caught in a scam. any info is helpful

timberwoof
09-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Its probably a scam, things like that have been going around quite a bit. Where do you have the parts for sale at?

Reverend
09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Run the name on google and see if it comes up on a scammer site. The scammer sites I would recommend checking though have been down for 3 days.

alerored04
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
He emailed me too about parts i have up. It seemed really shady, he was talking about a cashiers check and a bunch of other bs. Seems odd to me and i was wondering what you are wondering. I dont think i will contact him.

Jake
09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I was nearly scammed like that on craigslist. If they mention a cashiers check, its usually a scam.

Mike Jung
09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
He emailed me too about parts i have up. It seemed really shady, he was talking about a cashiers check and a bunch of other bs. Seems odd to me and i was wondering what you are wondering. I dont think i will contact him.

I was nearly scammed like that on craigslist. If they mention a cashiers check, its usually a scam.
You can bet it will the fake check.
Where they over pay you.
& request that you wire or Western Union them back the difference right away.
Mean while the cashier check turns out to be a fake.
So you are out money (for the check & the money that you sent back to them) & possibly (if you shipped them already) the parts you shipped.

There are a few threads here, where people have been scammed.
Usually for their car is for sale.

Ajaxus
09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
report everything to IC3..it is run by the FBI and is targetted at internet crime.

awfulwaffle
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
does anybody have any info on a Raymond Griffiths he emailed me about some parts i have for sale and was asking alot of question about who i am and all? and im jus trying to get some info so i dont get caught in a scam. any info is helpful

yeah i got a message from him about a guitar i put an ad up for on here, he asked a bunch of questions and promised the check payment. sure looks like a scam to me. also, in his car description, he claims to have a grand am gtc. any idea what htat is?

silvergtjrad
09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
i also got a message on here today about some stuff I had for sale a while ago too.

awfulwaffle
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
oh jeez wish i had found this thread first, i sent him with a reply but thankfully i didn't tell him my address or phone number in that reply like he asked

lone_wolf025
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
i also got a message on here today about some stuff I had for sale a while ago too.

x2

I thought something was fishy when I got the PM about some cheap amp I got laying around. That and just the whole message seemed funky.

Hello

I am interested in buying the Pioneer GM-X312 Amp that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffiths

1) the grammer is off
2) why does he need "detail about me?"
3) "I expect this timely enough" Huh? You're telling ME you expect MY INFO timely enough?
4) certified cheque? Reminded me of an ebay scam
5) "Full Company's" details? uhhh like I'm really gonna give you my personal info over the net...RIIGGHHHHTTTT...and I'm sure you got some lunar property you'd like to sell too right?

and the final straw:

Who the hell says Yours "interestingly"? WTF??

Oh and not to mention the member info was funky:

kalla
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: ex. 2002 Grand Am GT C (WTF is a GT C?)

Needless to say I didn't give him my info.

Ajaxus
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
c=coupe??

yeah, run it all through IC3..see if you can get the IP pulled by one of the admins on here and pass that along as well.

cardude007617
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
what company are you running lonewolf.............lol

00 GA GT
09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
I just got an email today from this guy wanting to buy a part from me. Good thing I already sold it or I might have gotten ripped off. Thanks for the heads up guys.

onesexyga
09-10-2007, 05:09 AM
So youre saying i shouldnt have given him access to my life savings? ****!

Actually, I read the exact same form email posted above except with 'wheels' in place of 'amp,' to a couple of people and we laughed histerically.

alerored04
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
mine was the same but with the title of my fs thread instead of wheels or amp. Who is forwarding this joker and has he been banned yet for spamming the FS section?

Rich
09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
have any of you reported him? if he does it all through PM and you dont say anything, no one will know.

stewartfn18
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
not to pick out any specific race, but with the name "ismail" kinda leads me to beleive that this is one of those nigerian scams ive heard about on msnbc. for all of those that have gotten the pm, report it to the wbsite listed in one of the previous posts. This is on thing i cant tolerate, people stealing from others.

alerored04
09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
who has a link to IC3? I will report this guy if someone has an idea of where to report it.

stewartfn18
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
who has a link to IC3? I will report this guy if someone has an idea of where to report it.
since its run by the fbi, try going to their website "www.fbi.gov" i would try but i havent got this pm and i dont have time to screw around with trying to find out how to report it

Mike Jung
09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (http://www.ic3.gov/)

Q: Should I file a complaint if I received an offer from someone in another country to purchase an item I have listed on the Internet with payment being made in the form of a cashier's check in excess of the asking price?

If you believe you are the victim of an Internet crime, or if you are aware of an attempted crime, you can file a complaint (http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/) on our website. Be sure to include as much information as possible about yourself (i.e. name, email address, mailing address, etc.), the perpetrator, and the Internet crime you are reporting in order to expedite your complaint. Be sure to copy and paste the entire email, including the header information, in the complaint. For more information on this topic, please see Internet Crime Schemes (http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx).

COUNTERFEIT CASHIER'S CHECK

The counterfeit cashier's check scheme targets individuals that use Internet classified advertisements to sell merchandise. Typically, an interested party located outside the United States contacts a seller. The seller is told that the buyer has an associate in the United States that owes him money. As such, he will have the associate send the seller a cashier's check for the amount owed to the buyer.

The amount of the cashier's check will be thousands of dollars more than the price of the merchandise and the seller is told the excess amount will be used to pay the shipping costs associated with getting the merchandise to his location. The seller is instructed to deposit the check, and as soon as it clears, to wire the excess funds back to the buyer or to another associate identified as a shipping agent. In most instances, the money is sent to locations in West Africa (Nigeria).

Because a cashier's check is used, a bank will typically release the funds immediately, or after a one or two day hold. Falsely believing the check has cleared, the seller wires the money as instructed.

In some cases, the buyer is able to convince the seller that some circumstance has arisen that necessitates the cancellation of the sale, and is successful in conning the victim into sending the remainder of the money. Shortly thereafter, the victim's bank notifies him that the check was fraudulent, and the bank is holding the victim responsible for the full amount of the check.

If you believe you may have fallen victim to this type of scam and wish to report it, please file a complaint (http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/) with us.

Mike Jung
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
have any of you reported him? if he does it all through PM and you dont say anything, no one will know.
So why hasn't that user been IP banned yet ?

kalla (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/member.php?u=15620)

Reverend
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
since its run by the fbi, try going to their website "www.fbi.gov" i would try but i havent got this pm and i dont have time to screw around with trying to find out how to report it

Hope it is ok for me to post this here:
The Internet Crime Complaint division is located at this URL: http://www.ic3.gov/

Hope this helps.
Looks like several were posting this at the same time.

lone_wolf025
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
what company are you running lonewolf.............lol

sshhh! No one is to know about that!