No brake fluid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No brake fluid

polo77
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I was driving in town today, and my brake pedal would slowly keep deppresing while applying brakes. Few moments later, the brake light came on. Drove home, I popped the hood, and no brake fluid in the resivior. Now I checked out the brake lines and everything appears to be normal. I changed my oil aweek ago and I checked the fluid then, it was full. I have no idea what the problem is, any suggestions would be great Thanks.

juanvan
09-10-2007, 03:45 PM
It was bone dry?
You have to have a leak somewhere, but as to where..

iceman
09-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Ruptured break line.. ruptured caliper... put more in and figure out where the leak is by pumping the pedal and looking. Then get it fixed (TOWED there), and properly bled..

polo77
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey thanks. My rf rim has like a black spatter on it. Noticed it about a week ago. Not sure if its coming from there or not. Thanks for the help.

juanvan
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM
That could be from a busted ball joint, brake fluid is not black, but it can get dirty -
I would not be driving it around with a big bottle of brake fluid!

polo77
09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Im not driving it. Im not that stupid lol. Im going to do what ice man said to do, get some fluid put it in and pump the pedal to see where its leaking. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reverend
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
My old Chevy had a similar problem and I did the same thing. Filled the resorvoir and had someone at each wheel looking for a leak. Refilled the master cylinder a couple of times with no luck. Decided to take a break and one of the guys asked what was on my shoe- the fluid was squirting out the rear of the master cylinder and going under the dash. Brake fluid makes a big mess, it also removes all paint.
So don't forget to check under the dash!

jnugg69
09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Definitely sounds like the brake line. Same thing happened to my girlfriend's car a couple of months ago. The pedal all of a sudden worked its way to the floor and we couldn't see the leaking but our brakeline was corroded and let out the fluid. Got it changed and it took care of the problem.

polo77
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Yesturday I went out and crawled under neath it. Found the problem on the rr line. It was in the bend that goes up over the rear axel. Was rusted right through. Sent it the garage, $50 later I got brakes. Thanks for all the help, this forum is the best.

brim
09-14-2007, 08:11 AM
"der wee go, just put two cermpresshun fittins and we are good!"