will a turbo kill my automatic gagt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : will a turbo kill my automatic gagt

SnakeGT
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
just wondering if a turbo would kill my tranny, some say it wont some say it will and i kno you guys will know so please let me know, also i have been all over the internet looking for turbos and if someone could direct me in the right path it would be great

thanks again

Malaclypse
09-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Depends on how you use it and how much power you're pushing.

There is no definite answer because setups can very greatly as does the transmission's condition in the first place.

silvergtjrad
09-13-2007, 03:48 AM
friggin' search! There are a ton of threads about this.

williamGT
09-13-2007, 01:58 PM
welcome. and use search button, it's your friend

ryanbgb22
09-13-2007, 02:07 PM
yes.

angrysk8r
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
depending on your setup, your tranny should be able to take the power to a certain extent. just don't go doing pointless burnouts and flooring it around corners!

stewartfn18
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
im with everyone slammin you about the search button. However the trans in our cars will hold about 10psi MAX no matter what you are doin but it can be done. AaronGTR's GA is turboed and he has gone through 3 trannys with his setup.

ryanbgb22
09-13-2007, 07:02 PM
im with everyone slammin you about the search button. However the trans in our cars will hold about 10psi MAX no matter what you are doin but it can be done. AaronGTR's GA is turboed and he has gone through 3 trannys with his setup.

i though he was running an sc, but either way, be prepaid to have problems.

cmtapanes
09-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Welcome! To be on the save side don't go over 8psi of boost.

silvergtjrad
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Welcome! To be on the save side don't go over 8psi of boost.

Wrong. To be safe dont boost at all. If you are tired of your car being slow and can deal with the fact you will need to rebuild the trans at some point, you can handle 10lbs for a while.

stewartfn18
09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
i though he was running an sc, but either way, be prepaid to have problems.

either way, our stock trans wont hold boost for very long.

AaronGTR
09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Depends on how you use it and how much power you're pushing.

There is no definite answer because setups can very greatly as does the transmission's condition in the first place.

:werd The turbo itself has nothing to do with whether your tranny will survive or not. It's all about how much power you are making and how you treat the car, and the condition of the car when you boost it.

Really? :confused: I could swore I had a supercharger, not a turbo. And I thought I only had one tranny rebuild... not three? Thanks for setting me straight. ;)

WeibSunder
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
SnakeGT, just ask AaronGTR and a few other's about it, there are very few that will know about a turbo in a GAGT, while some on here will just go off of what one person's very limited knowledge of a subject and run it in the ground. If the experts don't respond to this thread, just shoot them a PM.

stewartfn18
09-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Really? :confused: I could swore I had a supercharger, not a turbo. And I thought I only had one tranny rebuild... not three? Thanks for setting me straight. ;)[/QUOTE]

sry , i corrected myself in the 2nd post

SnakeGT
09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
thanks and sorry about the whole search thing i just wanted a answer fast, thanks guys i guess i should stay away from a turbo till i have money sitting around to rebuilt my tranny

mr_eh
09-16-2007, 07:25 AM
thanks and sorry about the whole search thing i just wanted a answer fast, thanks guys i guess i should stay away from a turbo till i have money sitting around to rebuilt my tranny

you have 3000$ sitting around for a custom turbo setup but not 1500 for a transmission rebuild? something sounds kooky here.

and since the turbo wont be spooled when you launch, or be in boost when the car changes gears, howsit dangerous? i dont get it

GT_turbo
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Hmmm... Well I have had my turbo setup for over a month now and running 10 lbs of boost. 3k for a custom turbo setup???? lol $1800 will get you all you need, if you know what your doing.