what fluid did you use for GM power steering? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what fluid did you use for GM power steering?

1/2dolla
09-16-2007, 12:30 AM
A search for Power steering fluid gave no good results.

I think its just regular Dexron ATF that GM uses in the 2001 year model but the manual was not very specific only giving the GM part number.

Its red so thats what I'm thinking. What have all of you put in after a flush or top off for that matter. I saw some regular Valvoline with conditioners and sealers but its not ATF, just says power steering fluid. Or there is some ATF additive with sealers as preventative maintainence. I do think the pully shaft seal in the pump has a slight leak but not so bad yet.

What have you used

Thanks

Malaclypse
09-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Use Power Steering Fluid.

It says that in your owners manual.

1/2dolla
09-16-2007, 12:22 PM
well thanks for replying but I guess you didnt read my post

Let me clarify, The manual only gives a part number. Well what is the fluid, Is it ATF, is it GM's special P/S blend only for GM Saab etc. Or is it just p/s fluid that you can get at your local pep boys.. Im still looking also so I will let you know what I find out. Who wants to pay 20 bucks for a $2 bottle of regular p/s fluid. Im not going to pay the dealer $20 beacuse they say its $20. Unless its Honda or BMW or a Ford that uses Mercon type-F these GM fluids should be interchangable.

I cant imagine GM uses anything special, every other part is generic. I will find out for sure as my GM mechanic will be back soon. so stay tuned

1/2dolla
09-16-2007, 02:24 PM
OK talked to my Gm mechanic friend. The type of p/s pump used and related rack and seals will not last if you use an ATF in them so we have 2 choices be it for Malibu, Alero, Grand am.

1 - buy any aftermarket power steering fluid which states the following on the label: meets or exceeds GM 9985010, Chrysler MS-5931, Ford M2C-128D, AMC 4060, Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26

2 - go to ANY GM dealer and buy power steering fluid

Malaclypse
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Okay, semantics aside. The stuff you need to use is actually called power steering fluid. There's nothing special about it. If the manual wanted you to use ATF it would have said "Use Dexron III ATF".

The aftermarket fluid will work just fine. Why is this such a huge issue?

1/2dolla
09-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Okay, semantics aside. The stuff you need to use is actually called power steering fluid. There's nothing special about it. If the manual wanted you to use ATF it would have said "Use Dexron III ATF".

The aftermarket fluid will work just fine. Why is this such a huge issue?

listen son Its a huge issue because its my issue , if you cant be productive then please dont post. This is an information type discussion. The more information we have the better decisions we can all make. Alot of us like to mod our cars and use an upgrade product, just telling someone to use p/s fluid doesnt mean squat. Maybe we dont want to use plain old fluid.

After all who the hell are you. As far as anyone knows you dont even know what p/s fluid is? whats your qualifications? Another 20 something who thinks he knows it all, sick of it. ASE certified, whatever, in my book your a certified @$$

Another thing , to the left it says you drive a Cobalt. You dont think our manuals are different seeing this is a Grand Am board? Again who the hell are you.

moderator please close this thread as I have answered my own question with enough detailed part info.

mfuller
09-17-2007, 11:51 PM
[/pissing match]