window glass brackets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : window glass brackets

awfulwaffle
09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
A buddy of mine slammed the door on my car, and the window stopped moving up and down. When i removed the door panel, i saw that the brackets that attach the glass to the lifters had both snapped off. My question is, can i epoxy the brackets back together, or will that not be strong enough?

lone_wolf025
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Plastics rarely, if ever, epoxy or glue together well. And quite frankly, speaking from personal experience, get the repair done professionally. Otherwise you'll wind up paying more to fix it after it breaks 2 additional times.

Tonyyank
09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
try searching for window regulator. Its a cheap product you can find on ebay, and its not too hard to change out ( an hour or so your first time.) This should fix your problem.

williamGT
09-17-2007, 09:58 PM
this is good for me too. Last year my driver side window regulator broke, GM had to put a new window in because the white plastic clips on my window was cracked in half...NOW my passanger side window clip is cracked in half, do I need a new window?
P.S sorry for jacking your thread.

lone_wolf025
09-17-2007, 10:37 PM
The clips are epoxied to the glass. You have to heat them up with a torch to melt the epoxy to remove them. With this method there is a chance you could crack the glass but its the only effective way to do it. Otherwise you will spend hours hacking away with a razor blade, screwdriver, and knife to get the things off.

If just the plastic clips are broken you can just have them replaced. If you purchase a regulator and motor assembly be cautious! Not every regulator from eBay will fit. I bought one, it didn't fit right, and I wound up spending twice what the cost for an OEM replacement would have been when all was said and done.

Again, I would just give it to the dealer or shop to do. Otherwise you have to buy the parts, remove the old clips, and re-epoxy the new ones on. There is also a chance that the epoxy may be past its shelf life and won't properly harden, which happened to me.

williamGT
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
The clips are epoxied to the glass. You have to heat them up with a torch to melt the epoxy to remove them. With this method there is a chance you could crack the glass but its the only effective way to do it. Otherwise you will spend hours hacking away with a razor blade, screwdriver, and knife to get the things off.

If just the plastic clips are broken you can just have them replaced. If you purchase a regulator and motor assembly be cautious! Not every regulator from eBay will fit. I bought one, it didn't fit right, and I wound up spending twice what the cost for an OEM replacement would have been when all was said and done.

Again, I would just give it to the dealer or shop to do. Otherwise you have to buy the parts, remove the old clips, and re-epoxy the new ones on. There is also a chance that the epoxy may be past its shelf life and won't properly harden, which happened to me.

Thanks, But if I take it to the dealer again, I would have to pay 325.00 for a new window..But I'll deal with it next year winter is coming soon so I don't need to roll down my window.

lone_wolf025
09-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Take it to a regular shop and see what they say. Shop I went to never replaced the glass.

williamGT
09-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Take it to a regular shop and see what they say. Shop I went to never replaced the glass.
I wish I can do that but, were I live we only have Canadian Tire, Ford, GM and dodge. Edmonton has tons there but it's 1500km away.

lone_wolf025
09-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Ahhh. Yea I see your point. Well if you want to try it yourself the clips are called sash clips and you use 3m channel lock two part epoxy to mount them. Make sure it comes with a dispenser to ensure equal parts of epoxy and hardener.

williamGT
09-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Ahhh. Yea I see your point. Well if you want to try it yourself the clips are called sash clips and you use 3m channel lock two part epoxy to mount them. Make sure it comes with a dispenser to ensure equal parts of epoxy and hardener.
Thanks Jon, I'll try it next year before the summer.. So Heat gun will work and pry off slowly.

awfulwaffle
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Follow up

I went in to a dealer today, and he told me that there was absolutely no way to get the clips off of the glass. He quoted me 450 dollars to replace the entire window, the sash clips, and the regulator (which there is nothing wrong with). I went home today, took a soldering iron, 2 plastic pieces that i had cut to the proper length, and fused the break at the seams. Then i put a bit of super glue on, and was done with it. Put the window in, and its working fine. DIdn't have to take the old clips off, and it sure as hell beats paying 450 bucks to replace something that doesn't need to be replaced.

Thanks for all the help guys

EDIT: Later in the day the clips snapped again, and I'm an idiot.

Bought new clips, heated and pried the old ones off, epoxied on new ones, NOW its done.

onesexyga
09-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Same thing happened to me. Seems to be a problem with the coupes. It's a lot of weight on a little plastic clip. Dealer quoted me for a new window regulator, and possibly glass. Then they suggested i just go get a new door from a junkyard, because it would be cheaper. I lauged, and fixed it myself for free. 2 years and its been fine.