Brake Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question

noog99
09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey, I was wondering if you guys had an explanation of this. Let me explain.

Rotors were warped and they were a few years old anyways so this past weekend we changed the front rotors and pads, without any problems. Finished up and took it for a drive, and noticed the pedal felt spongy. So we bled the brakes...drove it some more but it stayed the same. The car stops fine, but once it comes to a stop I can push the pedal to the ground. That's the strange thing. I don't know if it was doing this before changing the brakes, it was only something I checked after changing everything.

Anyways, any suggestions? Bleed the brakes again? Master cylinder going bad? Thanks for any help, this site has been a life saver.

Falke401
09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
You could try to bleed the brakes again, but its probably a bad master cylinder. I know when i first put my brakes on they did not feel very good for about 20 miles or so, but I was never able to push the petal to the floor.

bigstanklo
09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Bad master cylinder. Had the exact same thing happen. Mine was caused because I forgot to loosen the lid of the old master cylinder before compressing the caliper pistons.

stewartfn18
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM
thats not good news for me either then because i can do the same thing. It doesnt bother me though. as long as my car stops it will do.

noog99
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
We were thinking it might be a bad master cylinder, although I am 99.9% positive that we took off the cap before compressing the piston, so while I don't think it's from that, it could be I guess.

Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out how hard it is to change the master cylinder.