Car overheating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car overheating

TurboAlero
09-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Hey can some one help me?
OK here's my prob

I have check every single thing, about the cooling system. My car is turbo charged.
It's over heating, it's spilling all the coolant out of the reservoir tank. Don't know why I have change the tanks cap , I have installed a larger thicker radiator 2 row alumin costume made for better cooling but it still overheat under Wot. The tuning right know is on save mode so it's pretty rich @ 11.5 to 12.5 on Wot so no prob on that side. I don't get any oil in the coolant system nor water in the oil. The only thing that I can say is when I have the reservoir tank cap off and I just started the car when its cold and when its getting hotter, the water begins to boil , so I will get steam.

I really don't know what the hell is going on. Do you guys think maybe it the lower intake gasket?
or maybe the head gaskets?

mfuller
09-20-2007, 02:36 AM
have you checked the thermostat?

TurboAlero
09-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't have any thermostat installed for the past 4 years so I think that isn't the prob lol

normal
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
isn't that a sign that the water pump is on its way out? if it is overheating it means the coolant isn't circulating, so either there is a blockage or the pump isn't doing its job. try checking the weep holes to see if they are leaking, that is a sign of bearing failure i think. also if you have been adding coolant you may need to bleed the air out of the system

TurboAlero
09-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Nops the water pump is ok and its brand new. It's like overheating and wen I go check in the reservoir tank there's no coolant anymore so, I let the engine runs till it reachest the operating temp, 181 F and then I saw that it was dumping the coolant from the dump hose of the tank. So I change the cap for a new one and it still does that. Hmm and for bleeding the air out yes I did it a lot of times but the thing is that I don't get any bubbles but I Will get steam wen I remove the reservoir tanks cap.

nate2023
10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Lim?

Gizm0815
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
is ur mixture off? not a 50/50 mix mabey to much water instead of coolant and ur burning off the water.

AaronGTR
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
At 180 you definitely shouldn't be boiling coolant. That's not even 100 degrees Celsius yet so it's not even the boiling point of plain water. Water is the best at absorbing and dissipating heat, but the anti-freeze/coolant additive also raises the boiling point beyond 100 C, so it's important to have the right mixture. At least 40% anti-freeze/coolant and 60% water, or a 50/50 mix like factory.

If you aren't even reaching boiling though that doesn't sound like your problem. It is possible to over fill the system. If the reservoir is filled right to the top and there's no room for the fluid to expand it will cause pressure to spike and the cap will allow it to vent. It usually stops though once the expansion stops and pressure equalizes. Since you said your tank goes completely empty, it's gotta be something else. I'd start checking for plugged lines, or even possibly blocked coolant passages in the block. The new long life coolants are known to develope sludge if you run them hot and there is air anywhere in the system. If you ran it low for too long, or got it hot before it was fully and properly bleed, it could have started building up sludge. It is usually a long process though, not happening during a single instance of running low.

You might want to check and make sure your coolant temp gauge is working properly too.

nate2023
10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
i had a similar problem, it was pressure building up cause of the weird ass cap for the resivoir, you really have to tighten them on! What about the coolant jacket on the turbo, if it has one.

brim
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
i doubt it but what about changing to a different pressure cap? If you've got good flow and a good mix i'm not sure why else it's boiling up unless it's a pressure issue

atc3434
10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Coolant boils at a low temperature if you do not have the system sealed well, sounds like you may have a pressure leak. A bad coolant cap can cause this, I've had my GA boil over just sitting one day, not even hot, because I haddn't properly tightend the cap. If the LIM is bad, you may have a pressure loss there, which allows things to boil over at a lower temp.

nickofcourse
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
do a pressure test on the system