P0420 code and SES/ETS lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0420 code and SES/ETS lights

Reverend
09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
My GA just threw a P0420 code today, the SES and ETS lights are on steady. Checked OBD and got a P0420 code which is Catalytic converter from what I can find. Could it be something else throwing this code or is my CatCon shot? I have put $500 into this car in the last two months and only driven it 250 miles. O2 sensor last month and starter last week, replaced. I don't have the money to keep up with monthly repairs.
Will this code cause an undriveable condition, where we could get stranded or is it something to deal with when I can get to it?

black05GT
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
As I understand it, that code means that your catalytic convertor is not operating to an expected level - that said, it COULD be the rear sensor, but I would think that you would be getting additional codes.
I've had that same DTC code (because I have a hi-flow cat installed), and driven the car for weeks with no problems with the SES light on - problem is - you don't know it that's the ONLY reason the SES is on , so don't depend on the SES only.
Although I'm not sure why the ETS light is on also, that should be checked into.

DoCDooM
02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Unplug every connector in the car one at a time and plug them back in, One At A Time!
GM has a long history of rotten connectors due to the galvanized metal they use to keep said connectors and plugs from corroding.
In other words, the cure causes the disease.
I've solved so many weird problems on my GT just by cleaning some connectors.

AaronGTR
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
:applause: way to look up a three year old thread. This guy probably doesn't even have this car anymore. lol

stillriza
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
So what's the real problem with looking up old threads and posting more info? As long as they aren't useless posts, isn't it just more info for others who search the forum? Just saying.

AaronGTR
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
So what's the real problem with looking up old threads and posting more info? As long as they aren't useless posts, isn't it just more info for others who search the forum? Just saying.

Sometimes, but often it's just copying info that's already out there, and if it's in reply to a thread that's three years old, there isn't much point in replying since the problem is probably long since solved.

Add to the fact this guy was dragging up old threads all last night and posting incorrect info in most of them. It's annoying.

GrandAmMe
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
He has been doing this to a few threads in the past few days......