Smoke from steering wheel. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from steering wheel.

eve
09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I noticed today that my steering wheel was letting of some smoke.
At first I thought it was just dust, but then I sniffed it and it was definitely smoke.
I know other people had issues related to their turn signal clicking along with smoke coming from their steering wheels, but I don't have the little ticking problem.
It's just smoke. I just noticed it today, who knows how long it's been happening.
Is this still related to the turn signal issue? Even though mine are working fine?

nate2023
09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
heck, if i saw smoke coming from directly ahead of me, i would bail the hell out, 60MPH or not! As for the smoke, i would disconnect your battery and find out what happend before that smoke turns into somthing much worse!!!!!!1!!!one!!!1

lone_wolf025
09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
If you've got smoke chances are you've got a short, and a bad one at that. If you're mechanically inclined I'd say check the switch. If not bring it to a shop ASAP. Its extremely dangerous to drive with a short circuit anywhere as smoking wires leads to fires, not to mention it will drain your battery down as well.

TFA
09-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Now I know us firefighters are very smart people and all :rolleyes: ..and this is one of the first things we learned....where there is smoke, there is a perfect opportunity for FIRE. and FIRE in a CAR is a BAD thing. Dont even try to fix it yourself. Bring it to someone to have it taken care of.

Malaclypse
09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Does the smoke smell like talcum powder?

The only reason I ask is that airbags use talc as a lubricant for when the bag inflates. This allows it to operate smoothly. It might be possible for some of that to be leaking out of your airbag in whisps.

That's about the only possible thing I can think of unless its a horn contact problem.

Bryan
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Isn't talcom powder extremely dangerous to breathe in?

boost21
09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
all I know is I would never think about smelling my steeringwheel if my airbag was smoking

BTarb24
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
When you say it smells like smoke, does it smell like smoke from electronics, smoke from exhaust, smoke from burning oil, or smoke from burning coolant? That's an obvious way to steer you towards its origin.

Ajaxus
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I could swear she said she saw smoke coming out of the steering wheel..

ryanbgb22
10-01-2007, 01:45 PM
all I know is I would never think about smelling my steeringwheel if my airbag was smoking

^lol

my guess is its something from your mf switch. But i'd prob take it in.

Sleepwalkr
10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Mine was doing this exact thing..... then I cleaned the turn signal stalk because of the ticking sound a lot of people have had....... no more smoke.

Elderas
10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Im having a similar problem.

i can smell some wires cookin, but mostly only when i step outside. I cant put my finger on what it is.

it only started doing it recently too