Trouble installing front brake pads [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing front brake pads

jeffg
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else experience immeasurable grief loading the brake pads into the front caliper's sliders? (Stock calipers and Delco pads on a 99 GA SE, if it matters). It seems that this assembly is extremely finnicky as the pad needs to go in completely squarely. The spring clip certainly doesn't help in getting everything lined up. I'm sure that it took me about 1/2 hour per side the last time I did my brakes.

My procedure is to:
1) install the 2 new sliders and the spring clip into the caliper bracket
2) slide the caliper bracket onto the caliper
3) proceed to install the shoes

Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have any tricks to ease this part of the repair?

Do you find it easier to install the inboard shoe before the outboard? Or vice versa?

TIA

Bryan
09-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Not sure if I read correctly but why don't you put the caliper bracket on the rotor, install the pads, then put the caliper on? I don't think it gets very finnicky but I'm probably missing something.

Rich
09-25-2007, 10:53 PM
i remember having a pain installing mine too. i think thats just the nature of the beast when you install them.

stewartfn18
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
i just did my front pads and rotors yesterday and had no problems except for the bolts bein a pain to loosen probably from not being seviced in a long time. Nothing a little leverage couldnt fix though.

nate2023
10-04-2007, 09:40 PM
i didnt have a problem except for the soft bolts they used. I took everything off, replaced the rotor, bolted on the bracket, compressed piston, then put one slide-bolt-thingus on put the pads on, then swung the caliper down, make sure everything is snug and you remove the master cylinder cap before compressing piston.