Loose front end [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loose front end

jmoney
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey, let me start off saying i have intrax springs on my car and on my way to work i hit a pothole pretty bad and i heard a loud thud. immedietly after my front end is really bouncy and my steering wheel isnt straight anymore. and when im driving at like 15-20 mph my steering wheel shakes horribly and the slightest bump in the round causes the front end to just like skim the ground like theres no bounce in it, it just drops and im actually afraid to drive it cuz it feels like the front will just collapse. im hoping while im still at work you guys can help me figure this out. thanx

-Justin

boost21
10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
sounds like you bent something

atc3434
10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
sounds like you bent something

Yea, if the steering wheel isn't straight anymore, and it's acting weird like you described, you've got some pretty serious issues. I'm gonna guess you bent a lower control arm, or something like that. You best bet is to get to a closeby alignment shop, and bite the bullet for a repair. You don't wanna drive like that, severe suspension damage can cause really unpredicatable handling and is a major safety hazard.

cardude007617
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
what about a cracked spring?

-idk what the technical term is for it...but that sounded right...

jmoney
10-02-2007, 03:15 PM
theres no way to tell without physically removing the whole spring and strut assembly?

DrFabulous
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
theres no way to tell without physically removing the whole spring and strut assembly?

Pull the wheel off and see if you see a broken spring/ bent arm/ broken strut anything like that.

jmoney
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
well i got home and popped my hood and noticed that the bolt on my driver side was missing, which could possibly explain the loud thunk i heard this afternoon the strut mount looking into it is like ripped, i guess the bolt powered right through this thing. so i removed the whole strut assembly and the thread the bolt screws onto on top is entirely stripped, i guess the tension just popped the big ass nut right off. purchasing sum new kyb struts hopefully this will never happen again. a scary situation i wish to not experience again, especially the long drive home from work ;crap

i appreciate your thoughts and ideas. thanks

-Justin

AaronGTR
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
In the future, don't even drive your car anywhere if it starts behaving like that. It is unsafe and you might lose control of the car and get in an accident, and possibly kill someone in the process. Pull the car over and check it and if you see something broken, or if the problem is obvious and not going away, call a tow truck! Better safe than sorry.

jmoney
10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
well its been about a week since i got my car back, and i dunno if i broke sum bushings or anything but my steering is really loose like its not as tight as it used to i have to turn it alot more to make hard turns and what not. any ideas?