Pcv stuff on the back valve cover? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pcv stuff on the back valve cover?

nate2023
10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, i have awful gas mileage and poor performance, very sluggish, anyways theres a hose that plugs right into the intake tube to the back corner of the valve cover, upon closer inspection the part on the valve cover side is slowly letting oil out and i can freely move the hose in and out of the fitting. What is this called and where can i get one. I dont have a Digital camera, sorry.

silverbullet51
10-04-2007, 11:21 PM
you mean a pcv valve?

start up the car and while it idles, take the pcv valve with the tube attached and pull it out of the rubber grommet. put your finger over the valve and you should have suction. if not check (shut off the engine) your manifold port, tube connected to intake hose, and valve for leaks or clogs. then shake the valve itself and listen if it rattles. if it doesn't get a new one. replace your intake tube if you need to.

pcv valves are cheap and many people overlook them. you won't see a night and day differance in performance (if you do, consider yourself lucky) but every little bit helps. i replaced the pcv valve in mine cuz it was sticking and i still have lackluster performance.

hope this helps

nate2023
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
no, its on the BACK of the motor (v6) its part of a tube that comes out right before the throttle body into the corner of the BACK valve cover. i dont see a pcv valve for it, it looks like it just goes directly into the grommet. its all loose and SLOWLY leaking oil.

AaronGTR
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
That's the intake for the pcv system (or breather). It pulls clean air in from the intake into the valve cover and crank case. The suction for this tube is provided by the pcv valve and tube coming from the front cover and going to the upper intake manifold behind the throttle body where there is vacuum.

Since there is oil spraying inside the valve cover, a little bit of oil seepage from around the tube fitting is normal. It shouldn't be excessive though and both ends should fit somewhat tightly into their respective holes. Either way, this part would not contribute to any lack of gas mileage or performance that you would notice. I'd suggest checking the other typical areas first. Possible dirty air filter, dirty MAF sensor, clogged fuel filter or catalytic converter. Check the computer for trouble codes as well.

silverbullet51
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=nate2023;927266]no, its on the BACK of the motor (v6) its part of a tube that comes out right before the throttle body into the corner of the BACK valve cover. i dont see a pcv valve for it, it looks like it just goes directly into the grommet. its all loose and SLOWLY leaking oil.

wow, how did i miss that one?:newbie: i was too eager to give advice and jumped the gun. leave it to aaron to provide an answer.

nate2023
10-05-2007, 01:10 PM
How would i tell if my Cat is plugged, is there any smells or such, right now my car doesn't have the power it once had. It has 108k miles on in.

drumking1721
10-05-2007, 01:38 PM
the cat usually smells like ass....it doesnt smell clean...believe me youd know....and yea aaron is the **** for answers

nate2023
10-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Yea, exhaust smells okay, smells bad when i first start it. This power loss comes when the car heats up to about 200-210 degree according to the temp gauge. It does not throw any codes. I have a CAI which is clean/new. I'm changing the tranny filter and 7 qts of fluid this sunday. That PCV hose in the back of the valve cover has a loose fit to it. also going to change the fuel filter.