Hello all [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Tank33
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey everyone.

I just purchased my first Grand AM last week so I was searching for forums and came upon this site. I have read alot of the posts and it seems like a very helpful place!

I purchased a 2004 Grand AM GT1. 77,000 KM, Leather, Sunroof, fully loaded every single option. All I have to say is I absolutely love this car, it has been by far the funnest and sexiest car I have owned to date. Sorry for small picture but I took it with my phone.

http://www.cornacis.org/tank/grand%20am.jpg

awfulwaffle
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
nice car, lucky you bought w/ sc/t.

PhantomLover007
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Welcome. If looking for info, use the search.

intmd8r
10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Welcome! Where in Canada are you located? I'm in southern Ontario. Not many GAGT enthusiests in my area.

Tank33
10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I am located in Saskatchewan. Next to no enthusiasts out here either. Unfortunately this car will be my year round vehicle so it will see snow, but it will be getting washed once a week and vacuumed probably twice, I am extremely fussy when it comes to my cars. If my shoes are full of mud/dirt, I take them off and throw em in a bag in the trunk!

atc3434
10-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome. Nice looking ride, SC/T looks great.

Exodus
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I am located in Saskatchewan. Next to no enthusiasts out here either. Unfortunately this car will be my year round vehicle so it will see snow, but it will be getting washed once a week and vacuumed probably twice, I am extremely fussy when it comes to my cars. If my shoes are full of mud/dirt, I take them off and throw em in a bag in the trunk!

Yeah, give it a couple of LIM issues, you'll think otherwise :D

Oh, and welcome

Grreen99GT
10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, give it a couple of LIM issues, you'll think otherwise :D

Oh, and welcome

not everyone has as bad of luck with the lim as you did :angel

Tank33
10-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I apologize....LIM? I am not new to the scene but just have yet to hear the definition for LIM lol.

stillriza
10-10-2007, 02:34 AM
lower intake manifold... (LIM)

its a common condition when the grand am refuses to eat healthy and begins vomitting all over itself....thus leaking into the inside compartment.

very common amongst the coupes.

welcome to the forum.

williamGT
10-10-2007, 07:46 AM
welcome:) and where in canada are you from?

Grreen99GT
10-10-2007, 07:49 AM
welcome:) and where in canada are you from?

I am located in Saskatchewan.

Tank33
10-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up, it is going in this weekend for oil change and coolant flush, I will have them take a look and make sure everything is ok.

Exodus
10-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up, it is going in this weekend for oil change and coolant flush, I will have them take a look and make sure everything is ok.

You got it man, but honestly there are some lucky ones that never had an issue w/ the LIM. I on the other hand had to get it fix 2X and on the 3rd time I just sold it.

not everyone has as bad of luck with the lim as you did :angel

Thanks for rubbing it in.
Ahem.... Dear God, please let Grreen99GT's LIM gasket rot away and let the oil seep into his coolant tank and make this happen at least 3X.
Thanks God, Amen

:D

Tank33
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Any other prone weaknesses I should be aware of?

I do my best to take care of my vehicles and my belief is if you take care of your vehicle it will take care of you, plus it only has 77,000KM, one would THINK...not a whole lot could go wrong if it's taken care of. I hope I did not just give myself bad luck lol.

So far I love driving it, but my gas gauge moves faster then in my old car, a 4 cyl 94 cavalier.

atc3434
10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Any other prone weaknesses I should be aware of?

I do my best to take care of my vehicles and my belief is if you take care of your vehicle it will take care of you, plus it only has 77,000KM, one would THINK...not a whole lot could go wrong if it's taken care of. I hope I did not just give myself bad luck lol.

So far I love driving it, but my gas gauge moves faster then in my old car, a 4 cyl 94 cavalier.

Expect to replace a few wheel bearings, window regulators (raises and lowers windows), heater blower motor resistor, to name a few things. Brakes are undersized for the car. Some folks have transmission woes, although I think it holds up pretty well. My GASE has got 155k miles and is still going strong.

kuecker_dj09
10-10-2007, 03:47 PM

welcome....

much respect for trying to keep the GA clean. look into the detailing section for insight on cleaning the car.

GrandAmGT1996
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
*welcome*

Mike Jung
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Any other prone weaknesses I should be aware of?...
A Review for those considering a 2nd hand '99 & up Pontiac Grand Am (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61120)

lol

PS: Get some winter tires/wheels for your GA ;)

Jake
10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
A Review for those considering a 2nd hand '99 & up Pontiac Grand Am (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61120)

lol

PS: Get some winter tires/wheels for your GA ;)

And stay AWAY from Mike Jung, he will rub some of his :amraam:
Canadianness off on you :angel

Mike Jung
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
And stay AWAY from Mike Jung, he will rub some of his :amraam:
Canadianness off on you :angel
:nono: I will leave the :amraam: West Coast to you & Sik ;) lol
I am located in Saskatchewan...
He is from Canada, you *focktard*

timberwoof
10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Howdy. Remember the search feature is your friend.

Ajaxus
10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
welcome

some other kind words of advice..if anybody gives you ****, take it like a man. with a name like tank i expect you to not run away scared (common newb response). :D

stillriza
10-10-2007, 10:27 PM

All this hostility towards canadians. First the milk bags, then then this.

Jake
10-10-2007, 10:31 PM

O even better you 2 can be :amraam: together! :p. Id rather be here on the west coast then up there freezing my pen0r off!!! :angel

I kid I kid...:D

Welcome to the site. lol

Tank33
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
I am used to freezing my butt off lol.

I read the end of that 99+ review and I just wanted to stop, so many bad things I hear, except I did not hear these things until after I bought the car. All I can say is I hope it goes well, and that it will work out good for me.

I am the type that when something goes, I get it fixed right, the first time, even if it costs a considerable amount more then "roughly patching" it up. One thing I do keep hearing is these cars go through pads and rotors like a bugger.

I wanted something newer, reliable, yet sporty and had the power when I wanted it. To me, in stock form, it has PLENTY of power, as I am still used to driving a 4 cyl cavalier.

I cannot afford rims for winter so I will be running winter tires on my polished ones haha, oh well, if all goes well next summer it will be outfitted with a new rim/tire combo.

One good thing I guess. The dealer I bought the car from gave me 4 years warranty, or 80,000 KM, whatever comes first, so I have warranty up to 157,000 KM, on all gaskets, engine, tranny, suspension, AC system, etc.

stillriza
10-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I read the end of that 99+ review and I just wanted to stop, so many bad things I hear, except I did not hear these things until after I bought the car.

LOL, you're not the only one. I was the same but so fa, I haven't had any major problems. I have gone through 1 set of pads though only cuz the stock pads sucked terribly and squeeled like crazy.

The stock chromers can hold out winter without a problem. I have had them on for a while now so no worries.

Tank33
10-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Aight sweet, thanks for the info on the rims, good to know they will be all right!

You know I look around and I see mod, after mod, after mod, so many possibilities with these cars. But then I also think, ok, you do thing, you might as well do this, then you might as well do that, and it is never ending, it is like ok, how far do I go? Know what I mean?

Honestly I will do Borla Exhaust, new plugs, some fancy red wires, interior mods, new rims/tires, and I will be happy!

stillriza
10-11-2007, 01:24 AM
It's an addiction, it never ends. Then you may want the full sc/t kit... down the line, some springs even though you said no drop..and eventually you will start replacing oem stuff with aftermarket things like struts, big brake kits, etc to make it better. Once you start, you can't stop.

For me, I want my exaust done and rims then i will be satasfied. After the sc/t skirts, I will be content. I have the hood and spoiler, tint and debadged at the moment.

Where do you plan on getting the borla system? I am aiming for flowmaster as its cheeper to buy local and avoid the insane shipping/duty charges.
I think i will keep the interior stock minus the leather swap.

Tank33
10-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Well some stuff I will do I did not plan, but I already know exactly what I want. This car is pretty sexy stock, I was lucky to find one with the Ram Air hood and leather, they are scarce it seems.

I actually want my badges to stay on, all I need to do really as far as that goes is get out my heat gun and get rid of the stupid sticker the dealer decided to put on my trunk next to my Grand Am GT logo!

I was planning to order it from the states, still am. However the more I think about paying customs/taxes on $800 US, I myself am leaning towards Flowmaster. The best shop in my city does only Flowmaster systems so, that is probably what will end up happening. I do not want a loud exhaust by any means, just less restriction, a couple HP, and shiny tips!

My interior will have the plexi glass GT signs in my headrests, red LED's in the heater vents, LED's under my seats, a few GT1 logos, 3 gauge pillar pod, and that is all I want for interior mods. If you start to go to far, you end up ruining the car more then sexifying it.:leg

Things that wear out and need replacement, will be upgraded at such a time, but things that do not need to be replaced, I will not swap out for better stuff, might as well get the life out of whats on there now. Example, when the struts need to be done, ill put KYB stuff in. When it needs a Alternator, I will get a beefier one, that type of stuff.

By the way, Leather swap would be a awesome move, I love those seats. I condition the leather once twice a week, and when I get into my car, my body just "slips" right into the seat....love it!

stillriza
10-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Ya..I have been itching for leather seats for quite some time but its nearly impossible to find them. A bunch of other members here have purchased the katzkin leathers and put them on thier seats...but over $700usd for leather covers is just too pricey for me.

So I check online every while and head to the scrap yards to check if anyone totalled a GA with leather seats.

My exhaust tips that I am aiming for will look like the ones in my avatar with a flowmaster 80 series.

Good lock with the mods

Tank33
10-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Well just got it out of the shop.

I have a friend that works for OK Tire and he always gives me good deals/excellent service. I asked him if they found anything wrong and he said nope, car is MINT, whoever had it before me took care of it, clean as can be underneath too.

I did:

Tranny fluid and filter change
Oil change
Coolant Flush
New spark plugs (AC Delco Iridium plugs)
Lubed chassis, suspension, all bushings etc etc

Should be good to go for winter! It goes in for new Flowmaster exhaust in 2 weeks!!

Jake
10-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Ya..I have been itching for leather seats for quite some time but its nearly impossible to find them. A bunch of other members here have purchased the katzkin leathers and put them on thier seats...but over $700usd for leather covers is just too pricey for me.

So I check online every while and head to the scrap yards to check if anyone totalled a GA with leather seats.

I have been contimplating leather to, for a while, I want black leather sooooooooooooooo bad, an upholstery shop in town told me 350$ to do each seat in leather, :(. But they are a good place and their work is very good.

cardude007617
10-13-2007, 10:15 PM
but is it worth 700 dollars for the front seats in leather? id just go with racing style seats or freaking OEMs or katskins

Tank33
10-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Is the leather option really that rare on these cars? When I was at the dealer I purchased my car from, they had 3 other GA's there, one SE and 2 GT, all cloth interior, one with no sunroof, none of those 3 had the ram air hood either.

If that is the case I guess I can consider myself lucky I got this one when I did!

lone_wolf025
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
I've got an 03 GT1 and no leather. Otherwise everything else is still top end like yours. Since you've got an 04 you're probably safe from the LIM going bad, but if your coolant level starts dropping inexplicably be weary. Otherwise enjoy the car and don't sweat the small stuff.

Jake
10-14-2007, 12:07 AM
but is it worth 700 dollars for the front seats in leather? id just go with racing style seats or freaking OEMs or katskins

I drive a grand am not a race car ;). Did they even make black leather in Ga's? I dont think they did. And im leary about orderng things like this offline, yea other people have had good experiences but this place is also down the road from my house and I know their work is awesome. Maybe I can talk the guy down a little.

Tank33
10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
I would probably get the seats done, if you know they do good work then it is worth it, you get what you pay for right? I had not ever had leather before I purchased this car and now that I do, I am not sure if I would go back. The only downside is that it is FREEZING cold in the winter time, numbs your butt pretty fast lol.

I forget to add, I had them check the LIM gasket and they said it is not showing the slightest sign of leaking and looks good, so I am going to just enjoy the car as you said!

Rich
10-14-2007, 01:06 AM
id check out youtube for exhaust clips. you might find some better options out there than flowmaster.

Jake
10-14-2007, 01:33 AM
id check out youtube for exhaust clips. you might find some better options out there than flowmaster.

hey hey Rich dont bash us flowmaster guys :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWdqwaLMKzI (My car :D)

Tank33
10-14-2007, 01:58 AM
I am leaning more towards the 40 series.

Jake
10-14-2007, 02:23 AM
I am leaning more towards the 40 series.

isnt the 40 series single in single out? Single in dual out ftw yo!!!!!1

Rich
10-14-2007, 03:22 AM
hey hey Rich dont bash us flowmaster guys :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWdqwaLMKzI (My car :D)

well, to be fair i think its worse for 4 cylinder guys, but i did find some non-flowmaster clips for the v6 that i liked more.

williamGT
10-14-2007, 03:31 AM
here listen to my $1700.00 Exhaust.
Borla Cat-back without resonator, ZZP 2.5 Downpipe, changed from 2.25 to 2.5 piping, Magnaflow Highflow cat, and Grand Prix GXP tips.

The reason why It cost alot is to ship it were I'm from.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1969001186998089884

Tank33
10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, there is nowhere close to me that carries Borla exhaust, and I am not willing to pay the shipping, so it is going to be a Flowmaster, there stuff does not sound that bad.

stillriza
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
80's and 40's are both nice on the v6 ga. the 40's are a bit deeper and louder if i rmbr right. im aiming for the 80 myself