Key won't turn [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key won't turn

Korben
10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey everyone, I've got a 2000 Grand Am GT and recently, the key has not been turning. It only happens every once in a while....but I think it is done now. It goes in, car will do the chimes and what not, but it won't turn at all in the car.

Any idea what the problem is/how much it is to fix? Already tried different keys, I think it is the actual switch and the tumblers are shot. ;crap ;crap ;crap ;crap

stewartfn18
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
you could have a bad/ worn out key or a bad tumbler. My two thoughts.

Sry, didnt see that you repalced the key. Still, it could be the tumbler.

lvemy3100
10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
not to ask a dumb question BUT.... did you jiggle the shifter handle then try turning the key?

Korben
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
The shifter handle doesn't really affect any of it......the key will sometimes turn, sometimes it won't. I guess the question is: how much are new ignition cylinders and how hard are they to replace?

I've replaced the key, and tried everything else I can think of..........

Lab Rat
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
There is a lockout on the shifter. I would guess that the mechanism is shot and needs replaced or defeated. I would look for the simple and inexpensive fixes first. New igniton switches are kind of expensive. And sometimes wiggling the shifter will help. Good luck.

TFA
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
go to autozone, pick up something called "Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil" its a yellow and white aresol can. Spray it in the cylinder then put your key in and take it out many many time, as to coat the tumblers. Then try turning your key again. The first time this happened to me, I did it and i was able to get the tumblers back in line enough to turn it for a little while, I ended up replacing it (also not hard, by the way)

Also, there are about 30 threads on this. I know because I started 2 of them and I searched when this happened to me. take a look at those threads as well, there is also a How-to on replacing the cylinder.

PhantomLover007
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Go with Mark on the first thing to do. I have that issue every once in a while. The lockout/shifter doesn't seat right. Then again, try turning the steering wheel from left to right due to the steering lock. If these don't work, try using the penetrating oil. The last resort would be to buy a new lock set.

2002GrandAmSE
10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I had to get a replacement key for the one I lost, it wonly works if inserted one way, but I guess that's what I get for going to home depot and spending $4.00 instead of $60.00 like the GM dealership wanted because of some "chip". Shenanigans.

WeibSunder
10-17-2007, 03:52 PM
There is no chip in our keys. I got a spare key made at Lowes and have never had a problem with it.

PhantomLover007
10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Chip. I didn't know we all rolled in high-end luxury sports cars. Sounds like some one from GM fed you some ****. I got spares made at Mal-Mart and didn't have any issues with them.

Hotrod6
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-1999-2004-Pontiac-Grand-Am-Ignition-Cylinder-Lock_W0QQitemZ190163884188QQihZ009QQcategoryZ40016 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NJMalibuman
10-18-2007, 07:34 AM
The chip is real, at least in the Malibus. The chip is inside the key and when you place the key into the ignition, the ingition reads the chip in the key to see if it the right key going into the car, if its not the right key the car will not start.

lvemy3100
10-18-2007, 07:47 AM
The chip is real, at least in the Malibus. The chip is inside the key and when you place the key into the ignition, the ingition reads the chip in the key to see if it the right key going into the car, if its not the right key the car will not start.

hate to say it but there is no chip in 97-03 malibu keys.... the ignition cylinder is what sends the "signal" for the anti-theft system

NJMalibuman
10-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Oh, my bad. Sorry for giving the wrong info guys. Well If I'm wrong then the people who told me about it are wrong to. Sorry again guys, don't hate me. LOL.