Head Gasket [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

Rustyfriend
10-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I have found a 99 GA in a local yard that is pretty much mint with the acception of the head gasket. my dad said he would buy the car so i have something to mod without having it be my daily driver.

has anyone done this repair before and if so, difficulty level/parts cost? i have already installed intakes, TB's, and a blower so i am not a newb to getting my hands dirty

my overall plan is to get this car running, then strip it down, and transfer my performance parts from my malibu

99gav6
10-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I had a head gasket die on my early this summer and it was quite a job to fix it and should be done by an experienced mechanic i think, you'll want to get the heads tested for good assurance (i did and one ended up being cracked), thankfully for me i got the labor free of charge but all in all it was about $1k with no labor, a new head, p&p and decked heads, gaskets, coolant, oil, and misc things. Also another thing is if it was leaking coolant out of the exhaust (mine was) theres a very good chance your 02 sensors will need to be changed. Hope that helps. Also what parts are you transferring from a malibu? Those, from what i remember, run with a 3100 and GA's don't use that motor. Good luck.

Rustyfriend
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
i would be transferring a CAI, 62mm tb, and a blower.

yes a malibu runs a 3100 but most of the parts are interchangeable. all intake related parts for example

99gav6
10-21-2007, 05:20 PM
i was hoping you weren't gonna say "ill be transferring my 3100 uim onto a 3400 because i have it painted and its the awesomeest!!" :) but ya the job requires alot of tools and knowledge and surely isn't cheap.

silvergtjrad
10-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Honestly, its not that hard. An impact and torque wrench are the only specialty tools needed. There is a really good how to on changing a LIM gasket in here. I would just follow that all the way down to where taking everything apart is done. Then all you do is take off the rockers, pushrods (remember the order they go in), and unbolt the heads. Get them checked before you put them back on though. Throw the gaskets on, torque the new head bolts on, put the pushrods back in the correct order, bolt on the rockers and torque them, then follow the how to for the rest of the way. Until you get into the engine internals, most things are simply taking out bolts and putting them back in the same spot. Im the only person who has done any work to my car. Before I got it, the most I did was change oil or a serpentine belt. Biggest thing is to take your time, and get a service manual. The manual will have all the torque specs and tell you in what order to take things off.

99gav6
10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Thats about how it went with me, its not real hard like jared mentioned, i knew nothing about car engines in general when i helped tear it apart (amazing how much you learn in 6 months) , and im sure i could do it again alone

Bryan
10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
That's pretty sweet of your dad to just buy you that to mod.

Rustyfriend
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
yea, he likes things like that. tomorrow i will be heading to the yard to get a price on how much they want for it. if not, there is also a 4-banger GA there as well as some olds with a 3800 in it

bigstribs
10-21-2007, 09:08 PM
get a haynes and go to town... i did mine and had it done in bout 6 hours but my head was still level but its pretty easy

Rustyfriend
10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
project is a no go, yard wants $2500 for the car

atc3434
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
IF you're going to buy a car specifically to mod to the point of not having it for a daily driver, don't you want something more performance oriented than a Grand Am anyways?

Falke401
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
IF you're going to buy a car specifically to mod to the point of not having it for a daily driver, don't you want something more performance oriented than a Grand Am anyways?

+1. There really is not a whole lot you can do with a grand am unless you spend a LOT of money. How fast do you want to go?

Rustyfriend
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
well it ends up that now MY head gasket is blown.....great!!

anyone know if it would be cheaper to buy a motor and have a shop drop it in, or just repair it?

Jake
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
well it ends up that now MY head gasket is blown.....great!!

anyone know if it would be cheaper to buy a motor and have a shop drop it in, or just repair it?

depends how much you can do yourself..... I hear the most expensive part is sending the ehads to a machine shop to be resurfaced. if it is indeed not warped or cracked

Rustyfriend
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
i honestly don't know how bad it is. it could be from the supercharger that i just took out......oh boy

jduce
11-16-2007, 05:58 PM
As long as you didn't overheat, repair it. Get your heads inspected and milled. Why take a chance?

I changed mine last December. It's not hard to do, it's just tedious. Mark everything you disconnect, including baggies for parts - There will be tons! As previously stated make sure your torques are correct.

I was able to do mine in about 4 days while working and going to school full-time. I estimate the cost at roughly $450-$500. It's hard to calculate due to the miscellaneous crap you have to buy.