Tail light / Dashboard light problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tail light / Dashboard light problems

malistrais
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey folks,

Been lurking here for a while and ran into a problem I can't find an answer that seems to fit my symptoms.

I have a 2001 Grand Am GT and I've been having problems with the tail lights and dash lights that seem one and the same.

Specifically, neither the dash or tail lights will work regardless if they are switched on manually or automatically as it gets dark.

My brake lights, reverse lights, and interior dome light all work.
All the fuses appear fine.
I've noticed the little light on the fog lights switch doesn't work any more either.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

WeibSunder
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Did you check all 3 fuse boxes?

ryanbgb22
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
you say its not the fuse, but thats exactly what happens when the fuse blows. It may even look like the fuse is fine, but still be blown. Just throw another fuse in there so you can completely rule that out.

ryanbgb22
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
when it happened to me it was the fuse in the fusebox under the hood. I dont remember the number and dont feel like going out in the dark to find out, but its the one that is directly next to the horn fuse.

malistrais
10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks folks. I'll check the fuse again in the morning.

I'll feel like a real dope if it actually is the fuse. :)

ryanbgb22
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks folks. I'll check the fuse again in the morning.

I'll feel like a real dope if it actually is the fuse. :)

i had the same thing happen to me the other day...kinda. I have a hid kit hooked up woth a relay kit, and for the relay kit i have an inline glass fuse. So i was in a parking lot and had no headlights, so i checked that fuse and it looked fine. So i drove home with myhigh beams (only went 1/2 mile). Got home started taring everything apart, coulnt find the problem. So i finally just stuck a different fuse in there for the hell of it , and just like that the problem was solved lol.

malistrais
10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
I just went out and checked (couldn't wait til morning - i want to get this resolved).

I checked the fuse right next to the horn fuse under the hood (minifuse #45 - parking lamps). It looked fine, but I still replaced it. Didn't work.

I also just noticed that my parking lights don't work (switched on from the turn signal lever).

Sounds like this isn't necessarily an uncommon issue - am I just missing something simple? :)

Thanks again for the help!

-Matt

ryanbgb22
10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
huh...thats weird. Those are exactly the symptoms of the fuse being blown. The only thing that works is the headlight bulbs, and nothing else, just as you said. idk if there are other fuses for those lights, but take a look through your other fuse boxes and see if there is anything labeled that sounds like it might cause a problem like this. Electrical problems are fusterating...i know.

malistrais
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks Ryan.

Is it possible it's a Maxifuse or relay? Or is it pretty much always a Minifuse?

edit - i just went out and checked any fuses i thought might relate to the problem. didn't help. Hazards work though. :)

malistrais
10-23-2007, 07:16 AM
just checking to see if anyone else has any ideas? :)

malistrais
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
hey folks - still experiencing the problem. any other ideas? :)

BigTaters
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
did you ever find this out? i am having the same problem and here is what led to it...

i was goin to put some led bulbs in.. i didnt realize you couldnt just plug them in as replacements.. they worked when i started the car up(well one side did anyways) then as soon as i hit the brakes my dash lights went out as did my fogs and tail lights... the signals brake lights and hazards still work..

now here is the funny thing.. i have since put back in the stock bulbs ....i have command start.. when i use it to start my car the lights come up in the tail end until i get in put my key in then hit the brake to put the car in reverse.. then boom the lights go out again.. i did have a blown fuse(the one beside the horn one.. cant remember the # though) but it still doesnt work even with a new fuse.. if it was just a fuse why would the lights go on with my command start and then shut off as soon as i hit my brakes and the command start disingages? Is there a relay or something else that can be doin this..